Prevagen is marketed as a cognitive enhancement supplement made from vitamin D and apoaequorin, derived from a jellyfish.
This product claims that it can improve your memory functioning and lead to clearer, sharper thinking. The supplement supports your overall brain functioning.
Prevagen Ingredients – The Breakdown
There are only 2 main ingredients in this supplement:
- Apoaequorin – This is a protein derived from a jellyfish. There’s some evidence that it supports healthy brain functioning. A study published in Advances in Body Mind Medicine found that ingestion of this substance did improve cognitive functioning in older adults.
- Vitamin D – This vitamin supports brain health by activating enzymes in the brain. It also serves the role of protecting neurons. An article in the Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation discussed the role of Vitamin D in cognitive function.
How Does It Work? | The Science Behind Prevagen
The main ingredient is a protein called apoaequorin, which in a variety of research studies has been shown to support healthy brain functioning.
Nerve cells require calcium for proper functioning. Apoaequorin can apparently protect nerve cells from some of the consequences of aging.
There is some research to support the usefulness of this substance for brain health.
Prevagen Pros & Cons
- This product can improve your memory functioning.
- It claims to support healthy brain functioning.
- The supplement can lead to clearer thinking.
- It can lead to a sharper mind.
- The chewable form only comes in one flavor – mixed berry.
- It contains milk, soy, and tree nuts, which are common allergens.
- The product focuses on one primary active ingredient.
Consumer Questions and Answers
A: The recommended dosage is one capsule per day, in the morning, with or without food. Remember more is not always better; the manufacturer sets the dosage for a reason, so to be safe stick with the recommended dosage.
CAUTION: Do not take more than the suggested dosage under any circumstances.
A: The manufacturer does not mention any possible side effects as being associated with taking Prevagen. However, some users have reported Nausea, Dizziness, Headaches, and Cardiovascular problems (Chest pain).WARNING: If you have any concern for these side effects consult your health care provider prior to taking this supplement and if you do experience any unpleasant symptoms, stop taking the supplement immediately and see a doctor if necessary.
A: According to the Prevagen reviews, there are no health conditions which preclude a person from taking this product. Also, Reports of adverse effects of apoaequorin have not been published.
A: According to the numerous positive reviews on Amazon, this product certainly does have some value as a brain enhancement supplement. Users reported that it led to clearer thinking and improved memory. However, according to the NBC News, makers of a product called Prevagen are falsely advertising it as a memory booster, and falsely claiming the product can get into the human brain.
A: The manufacturer is offering a 45-day money-back guarantee to anyone who purchased the product from an authorised dealer. If you’re dissatisfied with the product, contact the company and send it back within 45 days of the original purchase date. You’ll get a full refund.
A: At nearly $3 per pill, Prevagen professional strength is a very expensive supplement. Prevagen is said to contain the purest ingredients and the most effective formulas. The manufacturer also go above and beyond and have their product thoroughly tested in order to determine the quality of their product and provide proof that their formula is in fact pure.
|Prevagen||$39.95||Apoaequorin, Vitamin D|
|Neuro-Peak||$21.04||Bacopa Monnieri, Rhodiola Rosea, Ginkgo biloba, Phosphatidylserine, Dimethylethanolamine|
|Nootrogen||$29.95||Dimethylaminoethanol, Glutamic Acid, L-Tyrosine, Bacopa Extract, Vitamin B3 (niacin)|
|Neuriva||$30 and $44||Coffee Fruit Extract, Phosphatidylserine|
|Noocube||$39.99||Bacopa Monnieri, Alpha GPC, Cat’s Claw, Huperzine-A|
|Natrol Cognium||$25.40||Choline, gingko biloba, huperzine, gotu kola|
|Reviva Brain||$34.97||Vitamin B12, taurine, folic acid, gingko biloba|
|Cognifen||$49||Green tea extract, grape seed extract, glutamine|
When compared to other products on the market, the ingredients are quite unique and the price of this product is quite average for brain enhancement supplements on the market.
Is Prevagen Safe? – Warnings & Complaints
As claimed by the manufacturer, Yes! this product is safe. The main ingredients have gone through rigorous safety testing. However, according to Dr. Robert H. Shmerling the claims are from Prevagen are overstated and in 2012 the US Federal Trade Commission charged the makers of Prevagen with false advertising.
Prevagen Customer Reviews & Results
About 60% of the Amazon reviews for this product were very positive. Customers said this product was effective in sharpening their memory and cognition skills. There weren’t many negative reviews, although some people did say the product didn’t work for them.
Prevagen: Packages, Deals, Prices & Where to Buy It
You can buy this product through a variety of online retail websites, manufacturer’s official website, or on Amazon.
The prices on the official website are as follows:
- Regular Strength – $39.95
- Regular Strength Chewable – $39.95
- Extra Strength – $59.99
The Bottom Line
Prevagen is a brain enhancement supplement. The main active ingredient in Prevagen is apoaequorin, in has clinical trials funded by the makers of Prevagen it has shown to improve your memory and thinking skills.
According to the customer reviews, this supplement does what it says it will do. Most users felt it did improve their thinking and memory skills.
Some users reported side effects you may experience with this product. If you have unpleasant symptoms, stop taking the product immediately.
It’s important that you make an appointment to go to your doctor before you decide to start taking this supplement.
Is There Anything Else You Should Know About Prevagen?
Prevagen along with other supplements claim to enhance memory and attention. Although these supplements may or may not work for you, there are also some natural ways that you can your brain health intact.
Here are some tips:
- Follow a healthy diet that is low in refined grains, added sugar and rich in vitamins, proteins, minerals, and phytonutrients. Eating nutritious food can enhance your brain health.
- Exercise on a regular basis to keep your circulation moving and your brain stimulated. Physical activity is one of the most potent brain nourishing things you can do to keep your brain in good form.
- Exercise your brain! Read, engage in puzzles, learn a new language or anything else that works out your mind.
- Get a restful, good sleep every night for better brain health.