- Do prostate supplements really work? When you try to find the right supplements to treat a health condition, it can feel like a shot in the dark.
- VitaPost Prostate Plus formula is our top pick because it is made with modern and traditional ingredients, and is designed to provide nutrients in support of your prostate. Take care of your body’s nutrition. Try Prostate Plus today and get support for your prostate’s health.
- It’s important to note that not every prostate health supplement will work for everyone, and your results may vary.
What is a prostate supplement and how do they work?
A prostate supplement is an organic product which contains ingredients that can lessen the swelling in the prostate gland and therefore reduce urinary tract symptoms like frequent urination or leaking. Most of these products contain plant sterols, and evidence indicates that they diminish prostate hyperplasia.
However, they do not reduce the size of the prostate. These supplements are also rich in anti-inflammatory properties, which can decrease prostate swelling. Most of these products have a lot of antioxidants, which helps with healing and elevates your overall immunity. If you have a prostate ultrasound which indicates that your prostate is enlarged, you may want to consider one of these supplements.
What are the best prostate supplement ingredients?
Some of the best primary active prostate ingredients include:
- Saw Palmetto – This is an extract from the fruit of a palm tree that grows in the southeastern United States. It contains ingredients which are supposed to reduce the urinary symptoms of prostate hypoplasia. The research results on its efficacy vary quite a bit. An article published in Reviews in Urology examined saw palmetto as a treatment option for BPH. However, it is not a treatment for the symptoms of prostate cancer.
- Pumpkin Seed – Pumpkin seeds are full of healthy substances that can be healing to the body and the prostate, such as antioxidants, magnesium, zinc, and fatty acids. They also support heart health. There’s evidence they can reduce the symptoms of BPH. A study published in Urologia International which took place over 12 months found that ingestion of pumpkin seeds did ease the symptoms of BPH. There’s some evidence it could be helpful in prostate cancer treatment.
- Beta Sitosterol – This is a plant sterol, which has a structure similar to cholesterol. It exists in many foods like peanuts, wheat germ, and rice bran. There’s evidence that it can reduce the symptoms associated with BPH, even though it doesn’t change the size of the prostate. A study published in Cancer Research showed that it can slow the formation of prostate cancer cells, and may even prevent prostate cancer symptoms from developing.
- Pygeum – This substance comes from the bark of the African Cherry Tree or Prunus Africanum. There’s some evidence that it can reduce the symptoms of BPH. A study published in the Asian Journal of Andrology found that Pygeum can slow the growth of prostate cells, which could prevent BHP.
- Stinging Nettle – This is a flowering plant called Urtica Dioica. There’s evidence that it can reduce the symptoms of BPH. It does this by stopping testosterone from converting into dihydrotestosterone. This reduces the size of the prostate. A study on rats in the First International Journal of Andrology showed the positive effects of stinging nettle on BPH. It may also help with prostate cancer prevention.
Dispel the myths on Saw Palmetto and Lycopene
The media claims that both Saw Palmetto and Lycopene are very effective supplements for treating the symptoms of prostate enlargement. However, the research for both of these substances is less than certain about their efficacy in prostate health.
Rating Factors in Evaluating Prostate Supplements
When you are evaluating different prostate supplements, consider the following factors:
- The quality of the ingredients for easing prostate symptoms
- The price compared to other brands
- The reputation of the manufacturer
- The return policy or money back guarantee
- Whether it includes artificial ingredients or allergens
- If it’s made in a GMP certified facility and follows safety guidelines
The Best Prostate Health Supplements
This supplement contains ingredients which support overall prostate health, urinary functioning, and immunity. The product is unique in that, besides including the typical substances in most prostate supplements like zinc, selenium, Pygeum, nettle, saw palmetto, and green tea, it also contains some unique inclusions like raspberry powder and three types of Japanese mushrooms.
- Prostate Plus may support urinary and prostate health.
- It could decrease symptoms like frequent urination and difficulty urinating.
- Prostate Plus might strengthen the immune system.
- It may provide the prostate with healthy nutrients.
- Prostate Plus contains healthy vitamins and minerals.
- The supplement contains soy and rice flour, which are common allergens.
- There’s some caffeine in green tea, which may make you jittery.
- Part of it is a proprietary blend which doesn’t provide the ingredient amounts.
Ingredients – Plant Sterol Complex, Pygeum, Red Raspberry, Graviola, Nettle, Broccoli, Tomato Powder, Juniper, Quercetin, Green Tea, Cat’s Claw, Zinc, Copper, Vitamin E, Selenium, Saw Palmetto, Shitake, Reishi, Maitake
Price – It should be a potent formula, and at $29.95 a bottle it’s reasonably priced.
Frotrol is a prostate supplement which promises to support bladder control and health, help prevent accidents and leakage, and improve your sleep. Unfortunately, the manufacturer does not provide a full list of ingredients. They mention a few substances included such as soy, pumpkin seed, and plant sterols. This makes it difficult to compare it to other brands or to check for allergens.
Another issue with this supplement is the fact that it’s only sold on the manufacturer’s website through a free trial. You can’t make a one-time purchase, and you can’t see the price until you sign up with your details.
- It may strengthen and tone the bladder muscles.
- Flotrol could reduce bladder inflammation.
- This product may improve urine flow.
- It might calm involuntary muscle contractions in the bladder.
- This supplement is expensive for the market.
- It’s high in soy, which is a common allergen.
- There are only 2 primary active ingredients.
Ingredients – Pumpkin Seed Extract, Soy Isoflavones
Price – $59.95/bottle
This prostate health supplement was made by Dr. Dudley Danoff, the ‘urologist to the stars’ who has worked with famous people like Frank Sinatra and Ray Charles. ProstaGenix is also promoted by noted TV personality Larry King. The manufacturer calls it a ‘multiphase prostate support compound’ which can improve urinary flow, reduce frequency and urgency of urination, and enhance your sleep.
Although you can find the ingredients on Amazon, the official website doesn’t provide them. The ingredients are quality substances which do help to treat the symptoms of BPH. However, the list is a little short compared to some of the other brands.
- ProstaGenix may reduce nighttime urination.
- The product could decrease swelling in the prostate.
- It might lessen symptoms like frequent urination and dribbling.
- ProstaGenix may improve your sex life.
- This product could enhance your sleep patterns.
- ProstaGenix is somewhat expensive.
- You have to take 3 large capsules per day.
- Some ingredients are a proprietary mix and there are no ingredient amounts.
Ingredients – Iodine, Zinc, Selenium, Manganese, Chromium, Molybdenum, Vitamin D3, Quercetin, Pomegranate Extract, Grape Seed Extract
Price – At $49.95 a bottle it’s a little more expensive than other supplements as well.
This prostate supplement promises to reduce enlarged prostate symptoms in men. It claims to improve bladder emptying, decrease nighttime urinary frequency, and reduce the urge to urinate. It also supports overall healthy bladder function.
Although the 10 organic ingredients are substances that support prostate health, there are things missing like pumpkin seed and saw palmetto. The product also contains the allergens soy and oysters, which will be problematic for some potential users.
- This product may improve overall prostate function.
- Super Beta Prostate could decrease nighttime urination.
- It might help you completely empty your bladder.
- The supplement may reduce the symptoms of benign prostate hyperplasia.
- It could provide your prostate with important nutrients.
- There are less ingredients than some other similar products.
- It may interact with some common medications.
- You may have side effects like nausea and gas.
Ingredients – Chromium, Beta-Sitosterol, Silica, Vitamin D3, Calcium, Boron, Selenium, Copper, Manganese, Zinc, Molybdenum
Price – One bottle costs $29.95.
This is a high quality organic prostate supplement which supports overall prostate health and improves prostate enlargement symptoms. Users loved this supplement. The reviews for New Chapter Prostate 5LX were overwhelmingly positive, with 90% of customers giving this product a very high rating.
The ingredient list isn’t long, but it includes all of the right organic substances for prostate health like saw palmetto, nettle, ginger, and green tea. It does contains soy, which allergic users should take note of.
- New Chapter Prostate 5LX could support a normal urine flow.
- It may improve overall urinary health.
- The product might decrease nighttime urination.
- It can help you empty your bladder completely.
- New Chapter Prostate 5LX could maintain healthy prostate function.
- It could make you somewhat sleepy.
- You may have side effects like nausea or headaches.
Ingredients – Ginger, Nettle, Green Tea, Pumpkin Seed, Turmeric, Elderberry, Fish Oil, Plant Calcium, Reishi, Astaxanthin, Melatonin, Valarian
Price – This is a very reasonably-priced supplement at $27.
This product provides help for prostate problems on 4 different levels. It promises to reduce the size of the prostate, promote normal urinary flow, reduce inflammation, and improve urinary health.
Urologist Dr. Geo Espinosa formulated this product for use with his patients. Prost-P10x contains 12 potent organic ingredients which support prostate health like green tea, plant sterols, Pygeum, and stinging nettle. The supplement is fairly expensive, but the users were happy with it in general, finding it effective in reducing symptoms. At $79.99, it’s a little expensive.
- Prost-P10x may decrease swelling in the prostate.
- It could promote a normal urinary flow.
- It might support overall urinary and prostate health.
- Prost-P10x may strengthen the immune system.
- This product may improve your sexual health.
- Prost-P10x is quite expensive for the market.
- It contains rice flour, which is a common allergen.
- There’s some caffeine in green tea which could lead to jitters.
Ingredients – Green Tea, Stinging Nettle, Pygeum, Plant Sterols, Quercetin, Saw Palmetto, Cranberry, Pygeum, Beta-Sitosterol, Rye Pollen, Meriva Curcumin Phytosome
Price – $79.99
This is a potent product for reducing urinary tract symptoms and supporting the health of the prostate. This supplement contains powerful organic substances like Boron, Turmeric, Lycopene, Zinc, Saw Palmetto, plant sterols, and Pygeum. It contains no artificial ingredients, and they produce it in a safe GMP facility.
- The product could help support the health of the prostate.
- It may improve urinary tract function.
- LES Labs Prostate Health might promote a normal urinary flow.
- This supplement may make the immune system stronger.
- It could promote a more comfortable bladder.
- It has organic rice bran powder which could be an allergen for many people.
- You may have side effects like nausea or stomach upset.
Ingredients – Turmeric, Boron, Lycopene, Stinging Nettle, Beta-Sitosterol, Pygeum, Pumpkin Seed Extract, Saw Palmetto, zinc, Bioperine
Price – The price of the product is reasonable at $29.99.
Superior Prostate with Beta Sterols is a pharmacist formulated vitamin blend specifically designed to support healthy urinary function.
This prostate supplement is a potent formula which contains a very high amount of saw palmetto, as well as other ingredients that may be helpful for the urinary tract like garlic, pumpkin seeds, and stinging nettle.
The product promises to treat the symptoms of BPH, get rid of erectile dysfunction, and possibly also help with hair loss. It could also give you extra energy and improve your libido.
- Superior Prostate may support a healthy prostate in men.
- It could improve urinary tract functioning.
- The product has vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- It’s free of allergens like soy, gluten, wheat, corn, dairy, and yeast.
- Superior Prostate could reduce urinary frequency.
- You may have side effects like nausea or headaches.
- Results vary from individual to individual.
Ingredients – Saw Palmetto, Garlic, Pumpkin Seeds, Stinging Nettle, Lycopene, Grape Seed, Pygeum, Enzyme Blend, Beta Sitosterol, Mixed Phytosterols, Zinc, Selenium, Vitamin D3
Price – This is a very reasonably-priced supplement at 19.99.
This is an extremely healthy product which supports overall prostate health, urinary health, and flow, and reduces the symptoms of BPH. It’s rich in numerous ingredients which support prostate function and reduce inflammation.
In addition, it contains vitamins and minerals which support general health and immunity. According to the testimonials on the official website and Amazon, this is an excellent product which does work to lessen the symptoms of BPH.
- Prostate Plus + may support overall prostate health.
- It may reduce the symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- It has healthy antioxidants which may strengthen the immune system.
- Prostate Plus + is not an expensive supplement.
- It might support the health of the urinary tract and bladder.
- You may have side effects like stomach upset or nausea.
- It may interact with some common medications.
Ingredients – Pumpkin Seed Extract, Beta Sitosterol, Saw Palmetto, Zinc, Selenium, Nettle Root, Panax Ginseng, Pomegranate, L-Alanine
Price – One bottle of this product costs $28.95.
Proquil is a natural prostate supplement which promises to decrease urinary frequency, improve voiding, and support a normal urinary flow. The manufacturer states that it does not increase your libido.
Unlike many other supplements, this product relies on only 3 primary active ingredients including saw palmetto, pumpkin seed, and Pygeum. It is missing some ingredients, and it also includes the allergen soy as well and bovine, making it unsuitable for vegetarians.
- The product may support prostate health and functioning.
- It could promote a healthy urinary flow.
- Clinical studies support the benefits of Proquil.
- This supplement may encourage normal urinary flow.
- It may reduce nighttime urination for improved sleep.
- Proquil is not suitable for vegetarians, as it includes bovine.
- The product has soy, which is a major allergen.
- Proquil does not increase sexual libido.
Ingredients – Pygeum, Pumpkin Seed, Saw Palmetto, Flaxseed Oil, Oilve Oil, Zinc Oxide
Price – In terms of price, this product is reasonable at $29.99.
11. Prostate PQ
Prostate PQ is a supplement which claims to support pelvic and prostate function as well as overall urinary tract health. It is very rich in antioxidants which heal the body and promote immune functioning.
One issue with the product is that it only relies on two primary active ingredients, which are quercetin and rye grass flower pollen. These are potent substances but there are some missing ingredients.
- Prostate PQ could support pelvic and prostate health.
- The product could promote urinary tract function.
- It may help strengthen the immune system.
- Prostate PQ could decrease frequency of urination.
- It might decrease pelvic discomfort.
- This is a very high priced supplement.
- There are only 2 primary active ingredients.
- It contains soy, which is a common allergen.
Ingredients – Rye Grass Flower Pollen, Quercetin
Price – In addition, this is an expensive product at $95.
ProstatePure Plus is an organic prostate health supplement which is rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and substances which treat prostate enlargement and urinary tract symptoms like nettle and beta-sitosterol.
There are some common substances missing like saw palmetto, Pygeum, and lycopene. In general, the reviewers were very happy with this supplement and said it did help reduce their symptoms and improve their lives.
- ProstatePure Plus may support a healthy prostate.
- The product may help improve your sex life.
- It could help strengthen the immune system.
- ProstatePure Plus is high in healthy vitamins and minerals.
- The product is very reasonably priced.
- You have to take 3 large capsules per day.
- There may be side effects like nausea or headaches.
Ingredients – Saw Palmetto, Pygeum, Lycopene, Beta-Sitosterol, Nettle, Grape Seed Extract, Quercetin, Chromium, Manganese, Boron, Pygeum Bark, Glycine
Price – And at $21.99, this supplement is very affordable.
LifeSeasons Pros-T is a glandular support product, which supports normal prostate function and urinary flow in men. It contains a high amount of beta-sitosterol, a plant sterol which is very effective at reducing urinary symptoms.
Other ingredients include saw palmetto, stinging nettle, pollen extract, zinc, selenium, and pumpkin seed. It does contain soybean oil, which is problematic for people with an allergy.
- This product could support normal urinary flow.
- It may improve overall prostate function.
- The product could improve the volume and intensity of urine flow.
- The ingredients are clinically tested.
- It’s healthy and can strength the immune system.
- The product is somewhat expensive.
- The effects usually take 1-2 months.
- You may have mild side effects like dizziness.
Ingredients – Saw Palmetto, Stinging Nettle, Zinc, Selenium, Pumpkin Seed, Pollen Extract, Beeswax, Phytosterol Complex
Price – This product is somewhat expensive at $45.99.
Prostavec is a liquid prostate health supplement which can encourage healthy prostate and urinary flow. The liquid formula provides a change from the usual supplements, and this product contains a nice list of very potent substances like nettle, saw palmetto, damiana leaf, olive leaf, turmeric, and Pygeum.
The product got moderately good reviews, with over 70% of users finding the product highly effective.
- Prostavec may decrease nighttime urination.
- It could improve general prostate health.
- The liquid formula has powerful absorption.
- Prostavec could improve your sexual functioning.
- It might boost general immunity.
- You may have side effects like nausea and headaches.
- Some prefer a capsule to a liquid supplement.
Ingredients – Nettle, Saw Palmetto, Damiana Leaf, Olive Leaf, Turmeric, Pygeum, Kelp, Prickly Ash Bark, Hydrangea Root, Couchgrass Rhizome
Price – At $34, this supplement is reasonable for the market.
This is a potent prostate health supplement which is rich in high levels of ingredients, including beta sitosterol, zinc, pomegranate, lycopene, saw palmetto, nettle, turmeric, and pumpkin seed oil.
The manufacturer promises that it supports optimal prostate function with targeted nutrients. The reviewers mostly loved this product. There were very few complaints.
- This product may support a healthy prostate gland.
- It could provide the prostate with supportive nutrients.
- It’s high in immune-boosting antioxidants.
- Now Prostate Health Clinical Strength may decrease urinary frequency.
- They use healthy doses of quality organic ingredients.
- It contains soy, which is a common allergen.
- It’s not suitable for vegetarians as it has beeswax.
- You may have mild side effects like stomach upset.
Ingredients – Zinc, Lycopene, Pomegranate, Saw Palmetto, Nettle, Turmeric, Pumpkin Seed Oil, Beta Sitosterol
Price – At $34.99, the supplement is fairly reasonably priced.
Recommended Dose & Side Effects
Some of the common ingredients in prostate supplements can lead to some mild side effects. For example, nettle may cause an upset stomach, diarrhea, fluid retention, or sweating (2). In addition, saw palmetto could lead to symptoms like headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation (3). Beta sitosterol may lead to gas, diarrhea, nausea, indigestion, or constipation (4).
In terms of dosage, a good prostate supplement contains about 450 mg worth of ingredients. However, it’s also important to look at the dosages of the individual ingredients, and research what the proper amounts would be. For example, 320 mg is a good daily dose of saw palmetto.
What do prostate supplements do?
Prostate supplements contain ingredients with anti-inflammatory properties which reduce the swelling in the prostate. If you’ve had a prostate exam that shows you are enlarged, this can diminish urinary symptoms like frequent urination. They also contain plant sterols, which have demonstrated the ability to lessen prostate enlargement symptoms. These supplements tend to be high in antioxidants, which help with healing and strengthen your immune system. They can also decrease your prostate-specific antigen levels.
What are the top prostate vitamins?
The best of the prostate vitamins is Vitamin D. Low levels of this substance may lead to a higher risk of cancer. Doctor also suggests B vitamins, although not in high amounts as this could increase your cancer risk. The same is true of Vitamin E (1).
What are the best herbs for the prostate?
Some of the best herbs for prostate symptoms include Pygeum, stinging nettle, lycopene, saw palmetto, pumpkin seed, beta-sitosterol, and green tea.
Can supplements help your prostate?
Not everyone has faith in organic products, but they really do help with prostate health. Give the right ingredients, they can reduce the swelling in the prostate and eliminate some of the uncomfortable urinary symptoms like leaking or difficulty urinating. They may also lower prostate-specific antigen levels. In addition to supplements, there are other methods to help your symptoms such as prostate massage.
Who should buy a prostate supplement?
Men who are experiencing symptoms associated with an enlarged prostate should consider using a supplement along with their medical treatment. The ingredients will help to reduce the size of the prostate organ and lessen symptoms.
Which prostate supplements work, and which ones don’t?
Generally, it’s a question of the ingredients. A prostate supplement should contain plant sterols, as they can reduce urinary tract symptoms. It should also include other quality natural ingredients with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, such as Pygeum, pumpkin seed, garlic, and green tea. If it doesn’t contain these ingredients it may not be a good product.
How to decide which prostate supplements you should be using
Consider first the ingredients, as we’ve discussed. In addition, make sure there are no substances that you are allergic to include. You should also look up the manufacturer to make sure it’s a reputable company.
Check the return policy to make sure you can get your money back if the supplement doesn’t suit you. Finally, and very importantly, go to your doctor before starting any new product and make sure it fits in with your overall medical plan.
How to avoid being “scammed” or “ripped off”!
Stay away from free trial offers. More often than not, this is a way to get your credit card number so the company can charge you for purchases you don’t want. When you buy a prostate supplement, choose a brand with a one-time purchase. Then when you see how the product works for you, you can decide if you want to repurchase.
As men get older, many of them begin to suffer from urinary tract symptoms associated with having an enlarged prostate. There are several treatment options for this condition, one of which is taking a natural supplement to reduce symptoms along with your other treatments. Organic supplements can be very effective and are also filled with properties which enhance general health and immunity.
It’s important to evaluate a supplement carefully before you decide to take it, researching the ingredients and manufacturer and comparing it to other brands. Before you begin taking a new prostate supplement, check with your doctor to makes sure it’s suitable for you and fits in with your other treatments.
*Disclaimer: Health Insiders (HI) provides information that should not take the place of medical advice. We encourage you to talk to your healthcare providers (doctor, registered dietitian, pharmacist, etc.) about your interest in, questions about, or use of dietary supplements and what may be best for your overall health. Any mention in this publication of a specific product or service, or recommendation from an organization or professional society, does not represent an endorsement by Health Insiders of that product, service, or expert advice.