Why Are Eye Creams Really Necessary?
Many people feel that purchasing a special cream solely for the eyes is a waste of money, and unnecessary. Instead, many opt for a regular facial moisturizer.
However, the skin around the eyes is different from the rest of the face and has unique needs. Therefore a separate cream to deal with specific issues around the eyes is often required.
The skin around your eyes is thinner and more fragile than the skin on the rest of your face. There are also problems specific to this area that arise, like dark circles and puffiness.
As such, the eyelids have separate requirements when it comes to treatment. The skin around your eyes actually requires less moisture and less powerful anti-aging ingredients, because the thin skin absorbs them much more easily and quickly than the skin on the rest of your face.
If you use something too strong, it can actually harm or irritate the skin.
There are several benefits to using a separate cream for your eyes, including:
- It can have anti-aging benefits.
- Eye creams can make the skin around your eyes appear brighter.
- It may reduce the appearance of dark lines and puffiness under your eyes
- Cream can hydrate and thereby plump sagging skin under the eyes.
- It may reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
How Do You Choose The Best Eye Creams For Dark Circles, Fine Lines, Puffiness, And More?
There are specific ingredients often included in eye creams that deal with skin issues like dark circles, puffiness, fine lines, and wrinkles.
Check the ingredient label carefully, and choose your cream based on whether the ingredients match your skin type.
Some of the most commonly used ingredients include:
- Hyaluronic Acid: it draws a huge amount of moisture, hydrating the skin and making it plumper. This helps smooth out wrinkles and lines.
- Palmitoyl Oligopeptide: leads to the production of additional collagen and elastin, which restores the skin and prevents wrinkles from developing.
- Squalene: has the ability to fade age spots on the skin, and to prevent photodamage. This substance is absorbed easily and quickly by the skin.
- Arnica: it sooths and relaxes the muscles and reduces swelling. For this reason, arnica is used quite effectively to reduce puffy eyes.
- Acetyl Hexapeptide-8: this is one of the best and most popular eye cream ingredients. It very effectively smooths out wrinkles and fine lines.
Types Of Eye Cream
When you pick out eye creams, you should base your choice on the particular skin issues and skin type that you have.
- Dry Skin: this requires extra hydration to keep the skin moisturized, so look for hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid.
- Dark Circles/Puffy Eyes: ingredients that reduce puffiness include retinol, mint, and Vitamin C.
- Wrinkles and Fine Lines: ingredients that provide moisture can smooth out the wrinkles and lines around your eyes. In addition, look for ingredients that provide antioxidants like Vitamin C and peptides. They give the skin a younger appearance and smooth out wrinkles (source).
- Thin Skin: if the skin around your eyes is thin, it’s particularly important to use sunscreen on this area to protect it from UV rays.
What Are The Best Eye Creams Of 2021?
Here are our top selections for the best eye creams of 2021.
We’ve chosen them due both to their popularity and their success on the market. Without further ado…
Ingredients: Kinetin, Caffeine, Hyaluronic acid, Barley extract and Peptide complex.
- It helps get rid of eye puffiness and redness.
- This serum enhances the texture of the skin.
- It smoothes out wrinkles and fine lines.
- It helps even out skin pigmentation.
- The benefits are only guaranteed if you continue using the product
- The price is a little high.
- It is best if used with other DermaSet products.
Price: The Single product costs $95.00 but you can avail it at the offer price of $71.25 (25% OFF).
2. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Eye Gel-Cream
Ingredients: Sodium hyaluronate, Dimethicone, Synthetic beeswax, Dimethiconol, Sorbitan Olivate.
- It may smooth the skin around your eyes.
- The cream hydrates and moisturises the skin.
- The product doesn’t clog the pores.
- It could sting or burn sensitive skin.
- Left some customers with swollen eyelids.
- Few known eye cream ingredients are used.
Price: $12.64, discounted from $18.98
A small percentage of users said the cream burned or stung the skin around their eyes and they had to stop using it.
3. Mario Badescu Hyaluronic Eye Cream
Ingredients: Hyaluronic acid, Sodium hyaluronate, Aloe Leaf Extract, Safflower seed oil, Euphrasia extract.
- It can deeply moisturise the skin around the eyes.
- The product may smooth out lines and wrinkles.
- The cream can make the eyes look brighter.
- It can reduce puffiness under the eyes.
- The cream may burn sensitive skin.
- The product is somewhat greasy.
- This cream absorbs into the skin slowly.
Apparently, the product can be quite creamy and greasy. It absorbs poorly into the skin, so it may remain there for some time.
4. Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Supercharged Complex
Ingredients: Sodium hyaluronate, Jojoba esters, Soybean seed extract, Dimethicone, Fruit extracts, Caffeine.
- It can reduce puffiness under the eyes.
- The cream can reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
- This product can brighten the area under the eyes.
- The product includes sunscreen.
- Some users said it dried out their eyes.
- The cream can cause irritation in those with sensitive skin.
- The small bottle is extremely expensive.
There was a small group of customers who complained that this product actually dried out or irritated their eyes. These are likely people with very sensitive skin.
5. RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream
- It can reduce the look of wrinkles and lines.
- The cream can improve the elasticity of the skin underneath your eyes.
- It improves the appearance of puffiness and dark circles.
- It had a strange smell which some find unpleasant.
- Some customers saw no change at all.
- Product can cause irritation you if it gets in your eyes.
A minority of customers found that it didn’t help them at all. The biggest complaint about this cream is that it apparently has a terrible smell that some people can’t stand.
6. SkinCeuticals Physical Eye UV Defense SPF 50
Ingredients: Jojoba, Ceramides, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Dimethicone.
- It contains SPF 50 sunscreen.
- The product has a tint which evens out your skin tone.
- It’s suitable for every skin type.
- The tint is too dark for many people.
- Some users reported that it dries around the eyes.
- The texture isn’t very absorbing.
7. La Roche-Posay Redermic R Eyes Retinol Eye Cream
Ingredients: Sodium hyaluronate, Sodium hydroxide, Retinol, Retinyl linoleate, Dimethicone.
- The cream can soften wrinkles and lines around the eyes.
- It moisturizes and plumps the appearance of the eyes.
- The product can fade dark circles from under the eyes.
- It doesn’t contain sunscreen.
- Some users reported no effect whatsoever.
- It may cause irritation in individuals with sensitive skin.
Naturally there were a few customers who said the product had no effect, however, each person is unique.
One issue with this product is that there’s no UV protection, which is particularly important for the eye area.
8. Chanel Le Lift Crème Yeux Firming Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream
Ingredients: 3.5-DA (a CHANEL-exclusive form of dicaffeoylquinic acid), Sodium hyaluronate
- It can hydrate the skin to restore your skin’s volume.
- The cream can reduce puffiness and dark circles under the eyes.
- Makes the contour of your eyes look as if it’s been lifted.
- It’s out of most people’s price range.
- The product isn’t very creamy.
- There are some key ingredients missing, like retinol and sunscreen.
The majority of customers were pleased with this product and report positive results. So if you want to splurge, this product may be one to try.
9. Olay Brightening Cream for Dark Circles
Ingredients: Vitamin C, Caffeine, Optic brighteners, Titanium dioxide, Mica, Palmitic acid, Palmitoyl Pentapeptide-4, Niacinamide.
- It can reduce dark circles and puffiness under the eyes
- The cream absorbs into the skin fast.
- It can make the eyes look radiant and well-rested.
- It’s missing key ingredients like retinol.
- Makeup doesn’t go on smoothly after using the product.
- It has a slight tint that doesn’t suit some people’s skin tone.
There were a few users who complained that it wasn’t effective for them, which is the case with most creams. However, on the whole, the product had positive results from users.
10. L’Oréal Paris Age Perfect Eye Renewal
Ingredients: Dimethicone, Caffeine, Stearic acid, Retinyl Palmitate, Citric Acid.
- It can hydrate the skin and make your eye contours radiant.
- The cream can smooth out crow’s feet.
- It may improve the look of crepey eyelids.
- It can reduce dark eyes and puffiness.
- The bottle often arrives 2/3 full.
- Some users complain that the cream is too thick.
- Several users have complained that the dispenser doesn’t work properly.
Apparently, there was some kind of problem with the dispenser with some of the bottles. A few customers complained that the bottle wasn’t completely full. However, on the whole, this was a product which was quite well-received.
11. StriVectin Multi-Action Eye Cream
Ingredients: NIA-114, a dual-action peptide complex, Mimosa Tree Extract, Julibrissin Bark Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dimethicone, Caffeine, Allantoin, Alginic Acid, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1, Sodium Hyaluronate.
- It only takes 8 weeks for visible results.
- The apricot tint brightens dark circles under the eyes.
- The product can make you look well-rested.
- It can reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
- High number of ingredients, making it more likely a skin allergy will occur.
- Some customers felt that the results they got were too mild.
There were some customers who complained of shipping issues, like the parcel arriving later than it was supposed to.
Customer Questions and Answers
Each eye cream has its own directions, but almost all of these creams are suitable to be used in the morning and in the evening. The recommendation tends to be twice a day in this manner.
It really is quite individual, based on both the user and the product. For some customers, the effects may appear within a couple of weeks, and for others, it may take longer. Be patient and keep using the product, and you may see results sooner than you think.
These creams are generally safe and contain ingredients that are gentle enough to use on the skin around the eyes. If you're concerned, research the ingredients in the product you want to buy.
Some products do and some do not. Because this area of skin is vulnerable and thin, the majority of eye creams include some level of sun protection. If the cream you use doesn't have any, you should apply some in addition to the cream.
A Word from the Expert
Now that you have the breakdown of the 10 top eye creams of 2021, you should be well-equipped to choose the best one for you.
Consider your particular skin type and the issues you want to treat. Examine the ingredients in the creams you’re considering and check that they match your needs.
You may need to try more than one cream to find the best one for your skin.
When you do find the right eye cream for you, there’s a good chance it will reduce the wrinkles, dryness, and dark puffiness around your eyes.
A high-quality anti-aging cream can take years off your face and give your eyes a youthful radiance.