Why Are Eye Creams Really Necessary?
Many people feel that purchasing a special cream solely for the eyes is a waste of money, and unnecessary. Instead, many opt for a regular facial moisturizer.
However, the skin around the eyes is different from the rest of the face and has unique needs. Therefore a separate cream to deal with specific issues around the eyes is often required.
The skin around your eyes is thinner and more fragile than the skin on the rest of your face. There are also problems specific to this area that arise, like dark circles and puffiness.
As such, the eyelids have separate requirements when it comes to treatment. The skin around your eyes actually requires less moisture and less powerful anti-aging ingredients, because the thin skin absorbs them much more easily and quickly than the skin on the rest of your face.
If you use something too strong, it can actually harm or irritate the skin.
There are several benefits to using a separate cream for your eyes, including:
- It can have anti-aging benefits.
- Eye creams can make the skin around your eyes appear brighter.
- It may reduce the appearance of dark lines and puffiness under your eyes
- Cream can hydrate and thereby plump sagging skin under the eyes.
- It may reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
How Do You Choose The Best Eye Creams For Dark Circles, Fine Lines, Puffiness, And More?
There are specific ingredients often included in eye creams that deal with skin issues like dark circles, puffiness, fine lines, and wrinkles.
Check the ingredient label carefully, and choose your cream based on whether the ingredients match your skin type.
Some of the most commonly used ingredients include:
- Hyaluronic Acid: it draws a huge amount of moisture, hydrating the skin and making it plumper. This helps smooth out wrinkles and lines.
- Palmitoyl Oligopeptide: leads to the production of additional collagen and elastin, which restores the skin and prevents wrinkles from developing.
- Squalene: has the ability to fade age spots on the skin, and to prevent photodamage. This substance is absorbed easily and quickly by the skin.
- Arnica: it sooths and relaxes the muscles and reduces swelling. For this reason, arnica is used quite effectively to reduce puffy eyes.
- Acetyl Hexapeptide-8: this is one of the best and most popular eye cream ingredients. It very effectively smooths out wrinkles and fine lines.
Types Of Eye Cream
When you pick out eye creams, you should base your choice on the particular skin issues and skin type that you have.
- Dry Skin: this requires extra hydration to keep the skin moisturized, so look for hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid.
- Dark Circles/Puffy Eyes: ingredients that reduce puffiness include retinol, mint, and Vitamin C.
- Wrinkles and Fine Lines: ingredients that provide moisture can smooth out the wrinkles and lines around your eyes. In addition, look for ingredients that provide antioxidants like Vitamin C and peptides. They give the skin a younger appearance and smooth out wrinkles (source).
- Thin Skin: if the skin around your eyes is thin, it’s particularly important to use sunscreen on this area to protect it from UV rays.
What Are The Best Eye Creams Of 2022?
Here are our top selections for the best eye creams of 2022.
We’ve chosen them due both to their popularity and their success on the market. Without further ado…
Ingredients: Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide, Coenochloris Siginensis Extract, Caffeine, Vitamin C, Chondrus Crispus Extract
- It offers multiple anti-aging benefits from skin brightening, reduced pigmentation to photo-protective skin benefits.
- It claims to enhance under-eye skin hydration which may go along to improve the skin’s self-repair function.
- Works on all skin types with no side effects
Said to be a rich antioxidant that helps to reduce skin degradation often triggered by oxidative stress
- Some people may like it perfumed differently
- The main benefits may come after some time of continued use
Price: The mother company, Gle Skincare sells this product directly through their website for $24.99 a jar. Also, they have other special skincare products besides Gle for Dark Circles under their under-eye skincare category.
Results: Gle for Dark Circles as an under-eye serum particularly targets to improve aging around the eye skin. It may help brighten the skin as well as reduce the appearance of blemishes underneath the eye region. In addition, it may diminish cow’s feet and puffy eyes. Other notable changes that this cream may bring in include reduced fine lines, firmer skin, and enhanced protection against UV radiation.
Ingredients: Saw Palmetto, Hyaluronic Acid, MSM, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Hyaluronic Acid, Wild Yam Extract, Vitamin A, B Vitamins
- This supplement can smooth wrinkles and lines.
- It can firm the skin and improve elasticity.
- Dermal Repair Complex provides the skin with moisture
- The formula could include additional ingredients.
- The results will vary for different customers.
Results: Dermal Repair Complex is a dietary supplement which can increase the amount of collagen in your skin, making it tighter and smoothing wrinkles and lines. It also provides hydration, moisturizing and eliminating dry skin. It contains B vitamins which promote cell turnover, and antioxidants like Vitamin A which kill damaging free radicals and repair and protect the dermis.
Ingredients: Eyeseryl, Syn-ake, ProCollONe+, Regu-age, Hydrolite 5, Symglucan, Aloe Vera, Grape Seed Oil, Beta Glucan, Hydrolyzed Rice Bran, Green Tea Leaf, Peptides
- It can remove dark circles from under the eyes.
- Eyelacticity can tighten the skin and smooth wrinkles and crow’s feet.
- This product decreases the appearance of under-eye puffiness.
- It’s expensive for the size of the product.
- High demand sometimes leads to low stock.
Results: Skinception Eyelacticity is an enriching eye cream which increases collagen, tightening the skin and improving elasticity. It smooths the skin around your eyes and eliminates wrinkles, lines, and crow’s feet.
It can increase blood flow, fading dark circles, and it can also reduce the inflammation that can go along with puffiness. Antioxidants help to repair damage to the skin and protect it from UV rays and pollution.
4. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Eye Gel-Cream
Ingredients: Sodium hyaluronate, Dimethicone, Synthetic beeswax, Dimethiconol, Sorbitan Olivate.
- It may smooth the skin around your eyes.
- The cream hydrates and moisturises the skin.
- The product doesn’t clog the pores.
- It could sting or burn sensitive skin.
- Left some customers with swollen eyelids.
- Few known eye cream ingredients are used.
Price: $12.64, discounted from $18.98
Results: Quite a few users were very pleased with the results of this product, some suggesting that it worked immediately to soothe and moisturize the eye area.
A small percentage of users said the cream burned or stung the skin around their eyes and they had to stop using it.
5. Mario Badescu Hyaluronic Eye Cream
Ingredients: Hyaluronic acid, Sodium hyaluronate, Aloe Leaf Extract, Safflower seed oil, Euphrasia extract.
- It can deeply moisturise the skin around the eyes.
- The product may smooth out lines and wrinkles.
- The cream can make the eyes look brighter.
- It can reduce puffiness under the eyes.
- The cream may burn sensitive skin.
- The product is somewhat greasy.
- This cream absorbs into the skin slowly.
Results: Many users were pleased with this eye cream, finding that it did smooth out wrinkles and brighten the look of their eyes.
Apparently, the product can be quite creamy and greasy. It absorbs poorly into the skin, so it may remain there for some time.
6. Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Supercharged Complex
Ingredients: Sodium hyaluronate, Jojoba esters, Soybean seed extract, Dimethicone, Fruit extracts, Caffeine.
- It can reduce puffiness under the eyes.
- The cream can reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
- This product can brighten the area under the eyes.
- The product includes sunscreen.
- Some users said it dried out their eyes.
- The cream can cause irritation in those with sensitive skin.
- The small bottle is extremely expensive.
Results: The majority of customers are happy with this product. Many thought the results were well worth the price, as the product improved lines and wrinkles as well as bags under the eyes.
There was a small group of customers who complained that this product actually dried out or irritated their eyes. These are likely people with very sensitive skin.
7. RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream
- It can reduce the look of wrinkles and lines.
- The cream can improve the elasticity of the skin underneath your eyes.
- It improves the appearance of puffiness and dark circles.
- It had a strange smell which some find unpleasant.
- Some customers saw no change at all.
- Product can cause irritation you if it gets in your eyes.
Results: The vast majority of users were very pleased with this product. Users report that it absorbed quickly and easily into the skin and that it did what it was supposed to do.
A minority of customers found that it didn’t help them at all. The biggest complaint about this cream is that it apparently has a terrible smell that some people can’t stand.
8. SkinCeuticals Physical Eye UV Defense SPF 50
Ingredients: Jojoba, Ceramides, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Dimethicone.
- It contains SPF 50 sunscreen.
- The product has a tint which evens out your skin tone.
- It’s suitable for every skin type.
- The tint is too dark for many people.
- Some users reported that it dries around the eyes.
- The texture isn’t very absorbing.
Results: For this product, 75% of the reviews were positive. Customers did find that it absorbed quickly and smoothed out their wrinkles. The main complaints were that there was a small amount of product and the fact that the tint didn’t match their skin tone.
9. La Roche-Posay Redermic R Eyes Retinol Eye Cream
Ingredients: Sodium hyaluronate, Sodium hydroxide, Retinol, Retinyl linoleate, Dimethicone.
- The cream can soften wrinkles and lines around the eyes.
- It moisturizes and plumps the appearance of the eyes.
- The product can fade dark circles from under the eyes.
- It doesn’t contain sunscreen.
- Some users reported no effect whatsoever.
- It may cause irritation in individuals with sensitive skin.
Results: This product has been well received by customers on the whole. They really appreciated how well it hydrated the skin around their eyes in particular.
Naturally there were a few customers who said the product had no effect, however, each person is unique.
One issue with this product is that there’s no UV protection, which is particularly important for the eye area.
10. Chanel Le Lift Crème Yeux Firming Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream
Ingredients: 3.5-DA (a CHANEL-exclusive form of dicaffeoylquinic acid), Sodium hyaluronate
- It can hydrate the skin to restore your skin’s volume.
- The cream can reduce puffiness and dark circles under the eyes.
- Makes the contour of your eyes look as if it’s been lifted.
- It’s out of most people’s price range.
- The product isn’t very creamy.
- There are some key ingredients missing, like retinol and sunscreen.
Results: The big complaint about this product is that it’s expensive, but that is expected from the Chanel brand.
The majority of customers were pleased with this product and report positive results. So if you want to splurge, this product may be one to try.
11. Olay Brightening Cream for Dark Circles
Ingredients: Vitamin C, Caffeine, Optic brighteners, Titanium dioxide, Mica, Palmitic acid, Palmitoyl Pentapeptide-4, Niacinamide.
- It can reduce dark circles and puffiness under the eyes
- The cream absorbs into the skin fast.
- It can make the eyes look radiant and well-rested.
- It’s missing key ingredients like retinol.
- Makeup doesn’t go on smoothly after using the product.
- It has a slight tint that doesn’t suit some people’s skin tone.
Results: This product was well-received by most customers, and it’s reasonably priced. It apparently absorbs into the skin quickly and begins working quickly.
There were a few users who complained that it wasn’t effective for them, which is the case with most creams. However, on the whole, the product had positive results from users.
12. L’Oréal Paris Age Perfect Eye Renewal
Ingredients: Dimethicone, Caffeine, Stearic acid, Retinyl Palmitate, Citric Acid.
- It can hydrate the skin and make your eye contours radiant.
- The cream can smooth out crow’s feet.
- It may improve the look of crepey eyelids.
- It can reduce dark eyes and puffiness.
- The bottle often arrives 2/3 full.
- Some users complain that the cream is too thick.
- Several users have complained that the dispenser doesn’t work properly.
Results: This cream actually got mostly overwhelmingly great reviews. Customers were very happy with the results they got after using this product. They found that it hydrates the skin around their eyes and smoothed out some of the lines and wrinkles.
Apparently, there was some kind of problem with the dispenser with some of the bottles. A few customers complained that the bottle wasn’t completely full. However, on the whole, this was a product which was quite well-received.
13. StriVectin Multi-Action Eye Cream
Ingredients: NIA-114, a dual-action peptide complex, Mimosa Tree Extract, Julibrissin Bark Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dimethicone, Caffeine, Allantoin, Alginic Acid, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1, Sodium Hyaluronate.
- It only takes 8 weeks for visible results.
- The apricot tint brightens dark circles under the eyes.
- The product can make you look well-rested.
- It can reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
- High number of ingredients, making it more likely a skin allergy will occur.
- Some customers felt that the results they got were too mild.
Results: The reviews for this product will quite mixed. some people loved it and felt that it visibly brighter eyes. Customers also noted the wrinkles and lines around their eyes had diminished. There were a few customers who complained about the product having no effect.
There were some customers who complained of shipping issues, like the parcel arriving later than it was supposed to.
Customer Questions and Answers
Q: What time of day should I use it?
A: Each eye cream has its own directions, but almost all of these creams are suitable to be used in the morning and in the evening. The recommendation tends to be twice a day in this manner.
Q: How soon will it start to work?
A: It really is quite individual, based on both the user and the product. For some customers, the effects may appear within a couple of weeks, and for others, it may take longer. Be patient and keep using the product, and you may see results sooner than you think.
Q: Is eye cream safe for my eyes?
A: These creams are generally safe and contain ingredients that are gentle enough to use on the skin around the eyes. If you’re concerned, research the ingredients in the product you want to buy.
Q: Do eye creams contain?
A: Some products do and some do not. Because this area of skin is vulnerable and thin, the majority of eye creams include some level of sun protection. If the cream you use doesn’t have any, you should apply some in addition to the cream.
A Word from the Expert
Now that you have the breakdown of the 10 top eye creams of 2022, you should be well-equipped to choose the best one for you.
Consider your particular skin type and the issues you want to treat. Examine the ingredients in the creams you’re considering and check that they match your needs.
You may need to try more than one cream to find the best one for your skin.
When you do find the right eye cream for you, there’s a good chance it will reduce the wrinkles, dryness, and dark puffiness around your eyes.
A high-quality anti-aging cream can take years off your face and give your eyes a youthful radiance.
 Dermatoendocrinol. 2012 Jul 1; 4(3): 253–258. doi: 10.4161/derm.21923 PMCID: PMC3583886 PMID: 23467280 Hyaluronic acid: A key molecule in skin aging https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3583886/  Bioactive peptides: signaling the future. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology - Wiley Online Library https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1473-2165.2009.00416.x  Molecules. 2009 Jan; 14(1): 540–554. Published online 2009 Jan 23. doi: 10.3390/molecules14010540 PMCID: PMC6253993 PMID: 19169201 Biological and Pharmacological Activities of Squalene and Related Compounds: Potential Uses in Cosmetic Dermatology https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6253993/  Learn more about Arnica Montana. ScienceDirect https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/pharmacology-toxicology-and-pharmaceutical-science/arnica-montana  Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences On-line version ISSN 2175-9790 Braz. J. Pharm. Sci. vol.51 no.4 São Paulo Oct./Dec. 2015 http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1984-82502015000400016 Acetyl hexapeptide-3 in a cosmetic formulation acts on skin mechanical properties - clinical study http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1984-82502015000400901
7. Ganceviciene R, Liakou AI, Theodoridis A, Makrantonaki E, Zouboulis CC. Skin anti-aging strategies. Dermatoendocrinol. 2012;4(3):308-319. doi:10.4161/derm.22804