Neuriva is what is known as a nootropic substance. Any nootropic substance including Neuriva is designed to have a positive effect on your brain. In particular, Neuriva is supposed to help the functions of the brain that are related to memory, learning, concentration, and accuracy. Neuriva is a natural nootropic and it comes in capsule form.
Neuriva is made by a company called Schiff Vitamins and they put out 2 variations of Neuriva: an original formula and an extra-strength formula which also contains vitamin B12, B6, and folic acid.
NEURIVA BRAIN PERFORMANCE PLUS
ADDRESS: 399 Interpace Parkway, Parsippany, NJ 07054
VITAMIN: B6, Folic Acid
MANUFACTURER: Reckitt Benckiser Healthcare
USES: The ingredients of Neuriva support 5 different indicators of brain performance: focus, memory, learning, accuracy, and concentration* (*All individuals are unique. Your results can and will vary.)
PRICE: $30 and $44
Neuriva Ingredients – The Breakdown
As stated in the previous section, Neuriva consists of natural ingredients. But the star of the Neuriva show is something they call Neurofactor. This compound is a natural extract from the fruit of the coffee plant, Coffea arabica. It was developed by the company Future Ceuticals for the purpose of enhancing memory.
Take a look at the following breakdown of the main ingredients in Neuriva:
- Coffee Fruit Extract – There are exactly 100mg present in the original Neuriva formula of coffee fruit extract. There are 200mg of it in the extra-strength formula.
- Phosphatidylserine – This component is a fat-rich substance that is believed by some, not all, to help protect the brain cells. Some claim that it can help reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s.
How Does it Work – The Science behind Neuriva
Cambridge gives us some insight on how this product might benefit the brain. They conducted a study on one of the ingredients in this product: coffee fruit extract. They found that coffee fruit extract may affect the protein in the brain called the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (or BDNF for short). BDNF is needed for learning and memory.
When more plasma BDNF is introduced to the brain deprived of the neuropathic factor, it may result in better cognitive function. Cambridge tested 4 extracts: whole coffee fruit concentrate powder (WCFC), green coffee caffeine powder, grape seed extract powder, and green coffee bean extract on blood levels of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor.
100 mg of whole coffee fruit concentrate had the highest increase in plasma availability in the brain-derived neuropathic factor among healthy, non-smoking individuals when compared with a placebo.
Neuriva also contains phosphatidylserine which according to the Mayo Clinic has the potential to protect the brain cells from damage. Research on phosphatidylserine showed improvement in memory, learning, focus, concentrate, and communication.
Neuriva Pros & Cons
- Some ingredients have been tested in high quality studies
- Phosphatidylserine produced no side effects worth noting when studied in robust clinical trials
- Research on whole coffee fruit extract shows improved cognitive function
- Of those tested, some showed promise for higher cognitive function
- Neuriva does not state how much whole coffee fruit concentrate is actually in the product
- Claims made about whole coffee fruit concentrate rely on a single study
- Research on whole coffee fruit is limited to small groups and larger clinical testing needs to be done to show the true effects of whole caffeine fruit
- Research on whole caffeine fruit shows it may be the procyanidins that have a bigger effect on may have a bigger effect on BDNF levels. Research shows that procyanidin oligomers protect neurons from injury.
- The extra vitamins in the Neuriva Plus formula may be problematic if someone is already getting these nutrients from other supplements putting individuals at risk for toxicity
- Folic acid consumption is dangerous among those who have MTHFR and should be avoided
- The product does not specify if it contains whole caffeine fruit
- Limited research on phosphatidylserine and coffee fruit extract
- There is no concrete proof phosphatidylserine and coffee fruit extract can benefit the brain
- This product contains soy and rice which may be detrimental for those with sensitivities and/or allergies to soy and/or rice
- There is no standard dose established
- These ingredients are not regulated by any agency
- We do not know the level of caffeine in the coffee fruit extract
People Also Ask - Questions and Answers
The directions for both the original and extra strength formula of Neuriva are as follows: the user is to take one capsule of Neuriva each day. For the best results, the user is advised to take the capsule right before bed. Only adults over the age of 18 should take Neuriva.
- Neuriva Original Formula 30 Capsule Supply - $30.00
- Neuriva Original Formula 7 Capsule Trial Pack - $11.50
- Neuriva Plus 30 Capsule Supply - $44.99
- Neuriva Plus 7 Capsule Trial Pack - $14.99
Neuriva does not seem to have any major side effects to speak of. Although there is limited in-depth research for phosphatidylserine, side effects in phosphatidylserine were only seen when taking doses of 300 mg or more. These included:
- Stomach Upset
- Trouble sleeping
Does Neuriva work if you take other daily medications? More research also needs to be conducted on coffee fruit extract. Caffeine-based supplements can react with other supplements. If you take Neuriva with another stimulant it could lead to increased blood pressure. Too much caffeine can also lead to losses in calcium and magnesium.
Coffee fruit extract has been known to cause some insomnia due to the caffeine content in it. This may be exacerbated if you are especially sensitive to the effects of caffeine. Caffeine can interact with other medications so there may be a chance that Neuriva could interact with medications.
While it is not established if Neuriva can interfere with any medications, according to WebMD phosphatidylserine can interfere with how some medications work in the body.
So this could lead to the same effects in Neuriva. You should consult with your doctor before taking this supplement if you also take the following:
- Any type of blood thinner or have any blood-clotting problems
- Anti-inflammatory medicines used for arthritis, headaches, or pain
- Performance-enhancing drugs or supplements used to increase athletic performance or stamina
Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not take this product.
All that being said, supplements are not regulated so you should always talk to a medical professional before you begin any supplements.
You can return any of your Neuriva products within 30 days of your purchase. However, items that have been opened or used and returned voluntarily will be subject to a 15% restocking fee. Furthermore, the buyer will not be refunded the cost of shipping and handling.
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, you are entitled to a refund or exchange subject to the following guidelines. Please return your Neuriva product by following the instructions here. Send to the address as provided by the manufacturer to receive a refund for product purchase price.
Yes, According to the manufacturer, it has the potential to give you brain energy. This comes down to Phosphatidylserine nootropic in Neuriva brain enhancement supplement. The PS in Neuriva has been linked to promoting your brain's glucose metabolism.
The following list will give you an idea of what else is out there in terms of nootropics:
|Neuriva||30 and 44 dollars respectively||Coffee Fruit Extract, Phosphatidylserine|
|Relief Factor Calm||$21.95||Passionflower, Phosphatidylserine|
|NooCube||$39.99||Bacopa Monnieri, Alpha GPC, Cat’s Claw, L-Tyrosine & L-Theanine|
|Cerebra||$49.95||Citicoline, Bacopa Monnieri, Phosphatidylserine|
|Natrol Cognium||$24 to $38||Silk Protein Hydrolysate (CERA-Q), Stearic Acid, Dicalcium Phosphate|
|Reviva Brain||$34.97||vitamin B12, taurine, folic acid, gingko biloba|
|Zenith Brain C-13||$39||Huperzine A, DMAE, Rosemary leaf, rhodiola root, turmeric, gingko leaf,|
|Stonehenge Health Dynamic Brain||$43.95||Huperzine A, Bacopa Monnieri, Choline, Phosphatidylserine, Grape Seed Extract, Cinnamon Bark, Olive Leaf, L-Tyrosine|
Neuriva Customer Reviews & Results
The reviews for these products are a bit limited when compared to other nootropic memory supplements. However, the reviews that are available are mixed. Some reviews have said are better brain boosting products on the market with more effective ingredients. Some people have ordered one bottle and returned for more while others were less than enamored with it.
- Neuriva has helped with daily tasks
- Neuriva has helped with general mental clarity
- Neuriva actually caused headache, rashes, and psychedelic sleep
- Neuriva produced no noticeable difference in cognitive function with consumers saying it had no effect at all on them
Neuriva – Where to Buy and How to Save
Neuriva can be bought on the official Schiff Vitamins website. You can earn points towards future purchases or put them toward your membership into the Schiff Vitamins membership program when you do buy on the official site.
You can also buy it on third party sites where it is actually a bit cheaper in price.
The Bottom Line on Neuriva
Some nootropic supplements have been viewed as scams, but there may be some benefit from taking Neuriva since we know it contains some ingredients that have been tested to show improved brain function.
Unfortunately, the reviews on this product are limited and in disagreement. Some feel that it may be able to help you think clearer and protect your brain cells from critical damage. However, some of the ingredients have not been 100% proven. We do like the fact that there are little to no side-effects associated with it and that you can buy a trial pack for cheaper to see how it affects you and before you fully commit to the full size.
Is There Anything Else I Should Know About Neuriva?
Some say the cognitive enhancer use of nootropics in healthy people is controversial since there is no strong evidence they work and not clear that they are truly safe.
Schiff Vitamins does a pretty good job of laying all of their cars on the table. They tell you about everything that is in their product. That being said you should keep in mind that this product contains some other ingredients that you want to be aware of for possible issues.
Neuriva contains both soy and rice bran. If you have a food sensitivity and/or allergy to either of these substances you might want to steer clear of Neuriva.
It also contains carrageenan. Carrageenan s a common food additive made by mixing red seaweed extract with acid. Manufacturers often use it as a thickening agent. There has long been concern and debate over the safety of consuming carrageenan.
It is approved by the FDA, however, scientists widely accept that degraded carrageenan, or poligeenan, can lead to health issues including inflammation, bloating, irritable bowel syndrome and IBD, glucose intolerance, colon cancer, and food allergies/sensitivities.
According to Medical News Daily, animal studies indicate signs of some food-grade carrageenan can degrade, becoming poligeenan, when it is exposed to stomach acid. These studies have not shown conclusively whether the amount of degraded carrageenan is dangerous.
There is no research on human studies and carrageenan due to health risks. Anecdotal evidence reports that elimination of carrageenan from the diet has helped relieve symptoms of stomach discomfort, such as bloating and IBD.
Before trying nootropics you should talk with a medical professional about any health risks including existing conditions and medications you may be taking.
It may also be helpful to know that Neuriva products are vegetarian-friendly. Other than that, just be aware that there may be some insomnia involved.
Other things that help improve brain function
If you are looking for other ways to enhance brain performance you can start with your diet and exercise regimens.
- Adding more foods with healthy fats like omega 3 fatty acids to your diet will improve brain function. This includes freshwater salmon, mackerel, walnuts, ground flaxseed, and chia seeds.
- Getting good physical activity can help improve brain function.
- Lastly, doing brain teaser puzzles will help to also keep your mind sharp.
 A study by Spanish researchers in 2015 "Cerebral aging is associated with changes in the lipid composition of neuronal membranes, so it has been suggested that treatment with phospholipids like phosphatidylcholine and phosphatidylserine could favor cognitive improvement."
 Supplements for Brain Health? AARP Research