About Rodan and Fields
You may have heard of Rodan and Fields from a friend or coworker in the past but what it is really? Rodan and Fields is a company that was started by a duo of Doctors Katie Rodan and Kathy Fields back in 2002. The company sells a wide variety of skincare and beauty products that are generally divided into 4 categories: Reverse, Redefine, Soothe and Unblemish.
If you are wondering why you have never seen this brand in stores it is because it does not sell in stores. You can only get Rodan and Fields products by either buying them directly from their website or through one of their 300,000+ consultants in the U.S. It is safe to say that Rodan and Fields is a high-end skincare manufacturer and you will see why when we start discussing the prices of their products.
It is important to note that many of the products that Rodan and Fields sell come as a package or “regimen” but they can be bought individually as well. Let’s start off with an overview of some of the most popular Rodan and Fields products.
This is one of the most popular products. It comes with 4 items: a daily cleansing mask (4.2 fluid ounces), a pore minimizing toner (4.2 fluid ounces), a triple defense SPF cream (1 fluid ounce) and an overnight restorative cream (1 fluid ounce). This regimen package retails for between $194 and $208. Here are some of the ingredients of note in this regimen:
- Titanium Dioxide (Daily Cleansing mask) – Titanium dioxide is used as a skin lightener. It may help to make the skin appear brighter.
- Lactobionic Acid (Pore minimizing toner) – This is a sugar derived acid and according to Environmental Working Group it acts as a pH balancer for the skin.
- Avobenzone (Triple Defense SPF cream) – Avobenzone is a UVA and UVB filter. It absorbs broad-spectrum UV rays and converts them into energy that has less impact on the skin.
Another popular Rodan and Fields product which is aimed at making the skin appear brighter and preventing age and sunspots. It comes with 5 different products: A deep exfoliating Wash, an intensive brightening toner, a retinol formula dual active brightening complex, a vitamin C formula dual active brightening complex, and a broad-spectrum SPF 50 sunscreen. Reverse retails between $195 and $204. The notable ingredients include:
- Ammonium Laurel Sulfate (Deep Exfoliating wash) – This is a molecule with a polar end that helps it act as a surfactant.
- Kojic Acid (Brightening Toner) – Kojic acid is derived from rice fermentation and is used in beauty products to lighten the skin and treat scars, sun and age spots.
- Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C Brightening Complex) – Ascorbic Acid is essentially vitamin C and it is used to detoxify skin and boost the connective tissues in the skin with antioxidant properties.
Consumer Questions and Answers
You can only buy Rodan and Fields products on their official website or through a sales consultant.
When you buy from the official Rodan and Fields website you can take advantage of their 60 day money back guarantee. However, you will not be refunded the price of shipping and handling.
Rodan and Fields Pros & Cons
- Can help protect the skin from UV light
- May diminish the appearance of dark spots and wrinkles
- Has a reliable return policy
- Products are relatively expensive
- May cause rashes
- May cause an unpleasant smell
Rodan and Fields Results
As you can see, Rodan and Fields products don’t come cheap so the big question is are they really worth their price? The fact is that Rodan and Fields use some proven ingredients Avobenzone and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate. Ingredients like these have been studied and proven to protect the skin from light damage and cleanse the skin.
The doctors Rodan and Fields are actually dermatologists so it stands to reason that they know what is good for the skin. In all likelihood, Rodan and Fields products will work for what you need them for based on the solid formulation. On the other hand, these formulations are fairly common and you can get them for a lower price. For further insight though, let’s see what people have to say about Rodan and Fields products.
Consumer Reaction to Rodan and Fields
In this section, we will highlight some of the most important complaints and commendations that customers made about Rodan and Fields products.
One customer said of the Rodan and Fields Redefine regimen that they did not like the medicinal and floral smell that the products gave off. While another customer said of the same product that it helped reduce the appearance of some of her crow’s feet. Reviews for Redefine seem to be generally mixed.
One of the most alarming reviews comes from one customer who used the Reverse regimen and said that it damaged her skin to the point of painful dryness. Still, another user said that she really liked it because she got compliments from people about how much brighter her skin looked.
Rodan and Fields Side Effects
Most of the Rodan and Fields ingredients that we have researched have been deemed generally safe or use in beauty and skin products. There are some safety concerns with some of them though.
For example, the American Academy of Dermatology warns us that avobenzone may become toxic if used in high doses.
We have also heard of at least one customer account that the Reverse regimen caused painful dryness to their skin and that they had to discontinue use of it altogether.
Rodan and Fields have had a history with potentially dangerous ingredients such as hydroquinone but have recently rectified these missteps. In general, their products should be safe to use but keep in mind that if you have particularly sensitive skin, you may want to avoid their products or ask a dermatologist about the best way to use them.
What you May Like Instead of Rodan and Fields
They aren’t the only ones making good skin products. Weigh your options with some of the following products:
- Coppertone – $50 is kind of expensive for a sunscreen. Coppertone is a trusted brand when it comes to sun protection. You can get a pack of three SPF 50sunscreen sprays for roughly $20 online and they contain Vitamin E for extra antioxidant skin defense and moisturization.
- Clean & Clear – Clean & Clear have been around for a long time so if you are looking for a facial cleanser that won’t break the bank, check out their Morning Burst and night Relaxing face washes. They go for around just $10 online and they feature ingredients such as cucumber and vitamin C.
- Neutrogena – Neutrogena is a viable alternative to Rodan and Fields for wrinkle creams. They make their Rapid Wrinkle Repair cream with retinol and glycerin (very comparable to the formula used by Rodan and Fields) and typically sells for around $18.
- Crepe Erase – Crepe Erase is another alternative to Rodan and Fields for anti-aging wrinkle creams. It contains seven ‘super hydrators’ which have intense soothing benefits for the skin. The 2-step system is priced at $49.95 and includes a free gift.
Other options to try:
- InvisiCrepe Body Balm
- Meaningful Beauty
- Lift Factor Plus
- Miami MD
The Bottom Line
What we like about this brand is that they are making products which are generally reliable and safe. The ingredients they use have been known to improve skin condition and protect from age and sunspots. We also like the fact that their products were actually formulated by accomplished dermatologists (the two also came up with another very popular skincare product called Proactiv).
What we don’t like about their products is that for what they are, they’re expensive. What we mean is that there are companies making very similar products with similar formulations that sell them for much less than Rodan and Fields. Some of the possible side-effects of Rodan and Fields products are also troubling although admittedly, they are few and far between.
The bottom line is that you can get pretty much the same effect without having to spend so much money. They are indeed high-quality products but there does not seem to be a need for them to be so expensive. There is an air of exclusivity about them due to the fact that you can only get them through sales consultants and online but we still don’t see that as justifying the price tag. We suggest taking a look at some of the alternatives before pulling the trigger on Rodan and Fields.
 Lipton, Lauren. "The Truth Behind Rodan + Fields (And Its Takeover of Your Facebook Feed)". Allure.com.