What Can I Do to Improve My Gut Health?
When it comes to your gut health, you can improve your health state a lot if you understand the science behind it and, therefore, modify your diet by focusing on healthy foods.
Regarding the digestive system, what matters the most is the “gut microbiome,” aka the collection of all types of microorganisms colonizing the GI tract. In every person’s digestive tract, almost 200 different species of bacteria, fungi, archaea, and eukaryotes exist, some of them are beneficial, but some can be harmful.
According to various studies, gut microbiota can play an essential role in your health, and an unhealthy balance of microbes in your gut can be a leading cause of many chronic disorders such as gastrointestinal diseases, endocrine disorders, cardiovascular diseases, autoimmune diseases, metabolic issues, and colorectal cancer.
On the other hand, if you can manage to increase the number of beneficial bacteria in the intestine, you can avoid plenty of unhealthy situations, including inflammatory bowel disease, diabetes, and psoriatic arthritis. Research indicates the significance of gut complexity in our overall health.  In the past few decades, the medical community has found an apparent link between gut health and many vital organs, the immune system, mental health, etc.
According to experts’ recommendations, you can improve digestion health, decrease inflammation and avoid the risk of chronic diseases by supporting your gut health and metabolism through these methods:
- Your diet should definitely contain whole grains, nuts, beans, vegetables, and fresh fruits.
- Don’t forget to brush and floss your teeth regularly.
- Add fermented foods to your dietary schedule because they are rich in beneficial bacteria.
- Dark chocolate and foods with polyphenols help your digestion as well.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners.
- Include probiotic and prebiotic supplementation in your diet
Probiotics: Simply put, probiotics are “gut-friendly” or beneficial bacteria, and by consuming probiotic-supplemented food, you can boost the number and variety of these good bacteria in your colon.
Prebiotics: On the other hand, prebiotics are non-digestible foods that can create a healthy environment for good microbes. These foods stimulate beneficial bacteria growth and function, and you can gain them by consuming some of the best gut health supplements.
How Do We Choose the Following Supplements for Gut Health?
When choosing the best gut health supplement available on the current market, the most crucial factor is the combination of ingredients. What we go for is analyzing the formula, piece by piece. We look at the bigger picture and how this mixture of components, primarily active ones, can help your body with digestion, gut microbiome, and better food absorption. Scientific background and dosage of elements matter. The other crucial factor is whether the manufacturer has participated in any clinical studies. It is essential to find a direct connection between ingredients and gut health, verified by both traditional and modern science.
We also evaluate the additional ingredients and only present supplements without any fillers, binders, additives, preservatives, or artificial colors. These substances can undermine the purity of the blend and might cause an allergic reaction or side effects. The safety and purity of the combination, as well as the quality of ingredients and the cleanness of the production facility, should also remain of top priority.
We select the best purifying healthy digestion supplements, a collection based on effectiveness and safety, reliable brands, and quality products with reasonable prices to support your gut health.
The Best Gut Health Supplements of 2022
We first reviewed the effectiveness of some of the best ingredients in gut health formulas, such as grape seeds, psyllium, glutamine, cinnamon bark, magnesium, and so on. After considering these ingredients’ benefits, now is the time to know some of the most recommended and best supplements for gut health in the market and learn about their pros and cons:
BEST OVERALL: Sugar-Free Fiber Supplement
Colon Broom offers a safe, effective, and convenient supplement that helps the digestive system relieve constipation, reduce bloating, lose weight and improve digestion. This strawberry-flavored shake is natural and vegan, free of sugar and GMOs. It is a stomach health support formula that can act perfectly as a colon cleanser. It’s also website provides customers with a quiz to determine how it can help their health.
Quick Facts & Specs
- Benefit:a stomach health supplement that helps reduce bloating, lose weight, relieve constipation, and cleanse the colon.
- Phone & Address:Max Nutrition UAB Company, Company code: 305420438. Address of registration: Lvovo 37-101, LT-09307, Vilnius, Lithuania. Email: [email protected]. Phone: +1 (203) 872-9584 (in English)
- Active Ingredients:Psyllium Husk Powder, Citric Acid, Crystallized Lemon, Stevia Leaf Extract, Sea Salt
- Price: $23.91
Colon Broom Pros & Cons
- This Science-backed formula can help lose weight
- This supplement Relieves constipation and bloating.
- A colon cleanser that improves probiotic growth
- It can rectify general gut health
- A natural strawberry-flavored vegan shakes free of sugar and GMOs
- Manufactured in a European country with no delivery to some areas
- The company offers no third-party testing
- Sometimes it may cause bloating
- Only available online
It is a powdered formula, so you can make a strawberry-flavored shake by adding one scoop to 12-14 fl oz (360-420 ml) water. Then mix it and drink it two times a day, 30 minutes before a meal (lunch and dinner), and follow up with an extra glass of water. It has been recommended to be used for at least three months. Some people’s bodies are unfamiliar with psyllium fiber, so it may be hard for them to get used to the new ingredient. It could take a few days to adjust to the higher fiber intake. Therefore some bloating might occur. ColonBroom Manufacturer recommends starting slowly, with half a serving daily, then gradually committing to the complete dosage in the week of taking this supplement.
BEST for Gut Lining Support Blend
Gundry MD Total Restore formula promises a healthy gut lining and goes against digestive discomfort, fatigue, and overweight issues. This blend, made of 16 herbs and natural ingredients, is a powerful supplement that supports overall wellness.
Quick Facts & Specs
- Benefit:It is formulated to decrease gas and bloating, boost energy & focus, and improve mood. It also hinders out-of-control appetite & cravings plus supports joints.
- Phone & Address:Mailing address: Gundry MD, 9465 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 300, Beverly Hills, CA 90212 Phone: (800) 852-0477. Customer service email: [email protected]. Media inquiries email: [email protected]
- Brand:Gundry MD
- Active Ingredients:L-Glutamine, N-Acetyl- D-Glucosamine, Magnesium Beta-Hydroxybutyrate, Grape Seed Extract, Licorice Roots Powder, Wormwood Powder, Cinnamon Bark Powder, Maitake Mushroom Extract, Cloves Buds Powder, Black Pepper Seeds Power, Grapefruit Seeds Extract, Marshmallow Roots Powder, Zinc L-Carnosine, Berberine Bark Powder.
Gundry MD Total Restore Pros & Cons
- Evidence shows it can improve leaky gut symptoms
- It has a potent formula made of 16 natural herbs and ingredients.
- It offers several health benefits, including lowering gas, bloating, and boosting energy.
- You can also experience modified mood and comfort in your joints.
- A third-party lab has tested this supplement.
- Positive feedback and reviewers experienced regular bowel movements instead of diarrhea.
- The company offers various discount options, including subscription and bulk purchase bonuses.
- There is also a 90-day money-back guarantee, even for opened products.
- With a complex formula, the chance of severe drug interactions is higher than in other blends.
- Results in every individual are unique; it takes longer for some consumers to feel the change.
- Expensive than similar products.
Based on the official website recommendation, simply take three capsules every day with the more complex meal of the day. You can also take each capsule with one meal separately. The formula is designed to digest quickly, and it is essential not to skip a dose; therefore, take Gundry MD Total Restore daily on a regular basis. If you take 3 servings every morning with your breakfast, you can start your day with an improved mood, energized body, and the right attitude.
BEST Probiotic Blend for Gut Health
Multi-GI 5 is a gut health dietary supplement made of 12 digestion boosters. Its formula is designed to manage weight, support healthy digestion, boost energy and increase a healthy GI lining. It creates a balanced gut flora that can improve whole-body wellness.
Quick Facts & Specs
- Benefit:A gut health formula that boosts energy and focus and reduces bloating, gas and irregularity. It also improves digestive health and fights cravings.
- Phone & Address:Customer service email: [email protected]. Media inquiries email: [email protected]. Phone: 800-935-4598 (Mon – Fri 6 AM-5 PM PST, Sat-Sun 6 AM-4 PM PST). Unify Health Labs address: 22647 Ventura Blvd, Ste 2016, Woodland Hills, CA 91364, US.
- Brand:Unify Health Labs
- Active Ingredients:Fermented L-Glutamine, Zinc-Carnosine Complex, Magnesium Beta-Hydroxybutyrate, Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice Root Extract, Black Pepper Extract (BioPerine), Berberine Hydrochloride, Prebiotic Blend, Probiotic Blend.
Multi-GI 5 Pros & Cons
- This potent supplement supports a healthy gut
- It boosts energy, fights gut issues, and prevents unhealthy cravings
- A formula that enhances cognition & focus
- This supplement also helps consumers to lose weight
- The formula includes science-backed ingredients
- It contains both prebiotics & probiotics blends
- The company offers a 90-days money-back guarantee
- The supplement is slightly on the pricey side
- Only available on the official website
- It has only one flavor option
You can make a strawberry-lemonade flavored drink by mixing Multi-GI 5 powder with water. You can use this supplement with any of your favorite beverages or tea. Each container contains thirty servings, so simply scoop one (6.4 g) of easy-dissolved powder, mix it well into a shake or drink, and take it daily for maximum results.
BEST Prebiotics Probiotics Green Superfoods
ActivatedYou Morning Complete is a potent wellness drink with a custom-selected blend that supports regulated digestion, levels up energy, and improves overall wellness. Packed with antioxidants, prebiotics & prebiotics, morning complete powder fight oxidative stressors, establish a healthy metabolism, and can also improve liver, cellular functioning, and blood sugar levels.
Quick Facts & Specs
- Benefit:This dietary supplement can energize the body and help with stress management and overall health by creating a healthy balance of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.
- Phone & Address:Customer support Phone: 800-720-8403 (Mon – Fri 6 AM-5 PM PST, Sat-Sun 6 AM-4 PM PST) Address: Santa Monica, California, 90404 © ActivatedYou
- Active Ingredients:Prebiotic and High Fiber (Organic tapioca fiber, cinnamon bark), Green Superfoods Blend (Spinach, broccoli, kale, mulberry leaf extract, alfalfa leaf, barley grass, berberine HCI), Metabolic Enhancing Blend (Green tea leaf extract, ginger root, white tea leaf extract, turmeric root extract, bitter melon fruit extract, black pepper.) Antioxidant Blend (Lycium berry, pomegranate fruit extract, Polygonum cuspidatum root extract (50% resveratrol), Sugar Balancing Support (Gymnema Sylvestre leaf, fennel seed, pine bark extract), Adaptogens (Astragalus root extract, Rhodiola Rosea root extract, diindolylmethane) Cellular Function and Liver Support (Aloe vera leaf, milk thistle seed extract), Probiotic Blend/li>
ActivatedYou Morning Complete Pros & Cons
- A complex formula made of natural ingredients & several blends
- It has various health benefits, including digestion support, stress management, creating more energy, and helping with blood sugar levels and liver function.
- Packed with scientifically proven ingredients, herbs, and antioxidants
- It contains a probiotic blend as well.
- There is a 90-day money-back refund policy.
- You can purchase from the official website and amazon.
- The brand offers discounts for subscriptions and buy-in bulk.
- There is also free US shipping
- Some ingredients have insufficient proof.
- This product is quite expensive compared to alternatives
- There are some complaints of poor customer service and refund policy.
- The organic aloe vera is concerning.
Take one scoop (7.6 g) of the supplement mixed with 8 ounces of liquid of your choice (water or iced green tea) every day. Each container has 30 servings and is enough for a month. This formula is packed with nutrients that can significantly help you throughout the day, considering every serving is 7.6 grams worth, containing more than 20 ingredients.
BEST Prebiotic for Digestive Support
Bio Complete 3 supplement takes care of your gut lining with prebiotics, probiotics, and post-biotics. This formula promises a healthy immune system, smooth digestion, weight loss results, and youthful energy.
Quick Facts & Specs
- Benefit:Bio Complete 3 can restore gut microbiome balance, improve immunity, and energize the person, as well as help with weight management.
- Phone & Address:Mailing address: Gundry MD, 9465 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 300, Beverly Hills, CA 90212 Phone: (800) 852-0477. Customer service email: [email protected]. Media inquiries email: [email protected]
- Brand:Gundry MD
- Active Ingredients:Tributyrin (as CoreBiome™), Sunfiber®, Bacillus Coagulans (ProDURA®)
Bio Complete 3 Pros & Cons
- A dietary supplement that contains probiotics, prebiotics, and postbiotics
- Made of natural ingredients that help with digestion and weight loss.
- Protects beneficial gut microbes
- You can feel more energy and crave less unhealthy foods
- This product is created by a cardiac surgeon
- It comes with plenty of positive feedback and customer reviews
- The brand offers free shipping and a 90-day money-back guarantee.
- Made in a US GMP-certified facility
- You can benefit from discounts for subscriptions and buy-in bulk.
- Available on the official website and other online retailers (Amazon & Walmart)
- An expensive product compared to alternatives
- The formula is straightforward, with only one probiotic strain
- Research on Tributyrin effectiveness is limited
- With bacteria as the main ingredients, people with a compromised immune system should be cautious.
Each bottle of Bio Complete 3 contains 120 capsules, and the Gundry MD website recommends taking two tablets a day. Serving should be taken twice a day, before meals, and you should drink lots of water with every serving. The best suggested time for taking Gundry MD Bio Complete 3 is before breakfast and dinner.
BEST L-Glutamine and Prebiotic for Gut Integrity
1MD GutMD is a stomach-supportive formula made of clinically-studied and patented ingredients that help gut lining integrity. With four highly potent components, GutMD is designed to protect the digestive system against harmful pathogens, strengthen the gut barrier and improve the stomach and intestinal lining.
Quick Facts & Specs
- Benefit:GutMD specifically improves gut lining integrity, eliminates harmful bacteria, and boosts immunity. This is a formula for overall digestive wellness.
- Phone & Address:102
- Brand: 1MD Nutrition
- Active Ingredients:Acacia Fibregum, HMO CARE4U, L-Glutamine, GutGard
1MD GutMD Pros & Cons
- A doctor-formulated supplement for gut wall support
- This supplement can improve digestion and immune system function.
- You can expect regulated gastrointestinal movement with better nutrient absorption.
- Patented Gut Gard is taken from licorice root that can balance gut bacteria.
- It has zero peanuts, gluten, dairy, wheat, shellfish, soy, GMO, or preservatives.
- The company presents a 90-day money-back guarantee.
- Made in a US GMP-certified facility
- You can order GutMD on the official website, & other online outlets (Amazon & Walmart)
- You can save up to 38% for subscriptions and up to 18% when buy-in bulk.
- Customer reviews are mostly positive
- Results differ from one person to another.
- Only purchasable online
- A few customers complained of breast pain and other side effects
The official 1MD website recommends taking three (3) capsules once a day on an empty stomach along with a full glass of water. After that, wait at least one hour before eating any food. You can also follow your healthcare consultant’s advice.
Natural Ingredients, Supplements, Herbs, and Medications To Help Gut Health
Let’s review some of the herbs and components that can improve your gut health and create a healthy digestive system:
Psyllium is a fiber made from the husks of the Plantago ovata plant’s seeds. This ingredient can trap water in the intestine, hence, increasing stool water and helping chronically constipated patients. Studies showed psyllium’s effectiveness on fecal microbiota and how it plays a vital role in gut physiology.
- Grape Seeds
Grape seeds are a rich source of antioxidants, and research demonstrated how they could be helpful against oxidative damage, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc. In one study conducted by Jeremy Grandhaye and his colleagues in 2020 with Grape seeds supplementation, the results were metabolic improvement and microbiota-positive modification. An animal study by Iulian A. Grosu in the same year also revealed the effect of this bioactive compound on large intestine microbiota, short-chain fatty acid synthesis, and treating inflammatory bowel diseases.
Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body and the primary substance utilized by our intestinal cells. The studies showed the relation between this ingredient and multiple intestinal diseases. There is a complex interaction between gut microbiota and how you can keep your digestive tract safe by bringing L-glutamine into the equation.
This unique nutrient provides fuel for metabolism, regulates cell proliferation and repair, and so on. This ingredient is essential for keeping the gut barrier functioning.
- Cinnamon Bark
Cinnamon bark is considered a herbal medicine by traditional healthcare and a remedial component against respiratory, gynecological, and digestive issues. Many of our ancestors used this regular spice for various purposes, such as ointment for various ailments. It is a multifaceted medicinal herb, being antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic, anticancer, and more.
- Licorice Roots
Glycyrrhiza glabra (Licorice) is one of the most prescribed plants in ancient times and comes with various health benefits such as antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and immunodeficiency effects.
Studies showed how it could protect the mucous membranes in the gut, increase mucin and reduce stomach acid and harmful substances.
Magnesium is an essential element, and more than 300 enzymatic reactions in the body require this component. This is necessary for numerous metabolic pathways and has many aspects in clinical healthcare. An animal study by Arantxa García-Legorreta and her colleagues in 2020 demonstrated how dietary magnesium supplementation could modulate the gut microbiota in rats.
- Black pepper
Scientists believe that black pepper is one of the healthy spices in the human food regimen. According to research, his ingredient can stimulate hydrochloric in the stomach, which improves digestion and food absorption. It also helps reduce discomfort and gas buildup in the intestines. Studies also considered the prebiotic potential of various spices, including black pepper.
- Marshmallow Root
Marshmallow Althaea Officinalis is a medicinal plant used to buy man for centuries. It creates a soothing, protective layer, reducing the irritation of the mucous system, and is studied for anti-inflammatory or anti-oxidative effects against oxidative stress. Marshmallow root potentially helps with digestive conditions and inflammation and remedies gastric ulcers.
Chamomile or Chamomile is an ancient medicinal herb, nowadays commonly-known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory aspects. It has been used as a treatment for stomach ache, irritable bowel syndrome, and insomnia. A very potent plant that can also help people with stomach cramps, arthritis, bedsores, and back pain.
Tips for Choosing the Best Gut Health Supplements For You
Every supplement comes with a unique blend of ingredients explicitly formulated to cure an ailment, with or without a positive reputation. The manufacturer always claims the best results at the most reasonable price, but not all you see is legit, and this is imperative to distinguish between the potent product with rightful assertions and scammers with no-backed claims.
If you have decided to purchase a product that can support your gut health, it is not always easy to find the right fit. A lot of brands are overflowing the market with all types of shiny products, promising easy digestion and natural treatment to their customers.
- Every product has a unique blend of ingredients, so try to get familiar with the supplement fact sheet and research every component and how they affect the digestive tract. Review the labels, always searching if the blend includes any gut protective active ingredients.
- Don’t just look for active ingredients because sometimes additional ingredients like preservatives, additives, and fillers may cause allergic reactions or harm your health.
- Consider if the brand is reputed and has a successful history of making promising supplements. Several brands are offering the best supplements for gut health and weight loss; some even promise other beneficial properties. Start by looking into top brands, and familiarize yourself with their top-line products. Look into each brand and whether the company is rated by the Better Business Bureau or not.
- Look at how the manufacturer is presenting their product and how they demonstrate the science behind their creation. Some websites even include a testing process by a third-party laboratory to ensure the dosages’ purity and accuracy.
- Check the website or the supplement label for extra stamps like “Gluten Free,” “Sugar-Free,” “Vegan,” “Non-GMO,” “GMP Facility,” “US- Manufactured,” or “Money Back Guarantee .”It also creates more trust if the supplement is all-natural & has FDA approval; however, an FDA approval is unnecessary for dietary supplement products.
- Customer reviews and FAQs are always a guide to the product’s pros and cons, and potential side effects, answer your questions and provide you with information you might not get straightforward anywhere else.
- If there is a clinical trial or free sample, be sure to look into it. Also, consider searching websites and platforms that provide honest reviews and comment sections about the supplement you are about to order. Listen to what they say and regard reviews before any purchase, although you should put all your fate on them because not all online feedback and praises are always 100% true. Keep an open mind.
- When choosing a new supplement for your gut health, some might think it is safe enough that the formula is natural. On the contrary, it is essential to consult your physician before starting any supplementation, especially if you suffer from any pre-existing health condition or are on any kind of medication that might cause interference.
- The price also matters because some products may be expensive because of their high quality, which is worth it, but others may just be hype. However, it is not advisable to sacrifice quality for cheap alternatives when it comes to your overall health. The higher-quality supplements cost more because of a pure blend of active ingredients, but sometimes additional fillers can increase the price too. So, make sure to check before purchasing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do gut health supplements work?
A: Logically, yes, and evidence shows how much a targeted gut health supplement with a scientifically formulated blend can help people’s stomach function and overall wellness. When the formula is made of potent active ingredients, customers are satisfied, and the brand shows promises on other fronts; these signs are mostly an indication of the product’s effectiveness.
On the other hand, studies show some ingredients, including marshmallow root, licorice chamomile, and psyllium, in probiotics supplements for gut health are good for digestion, immune system, and weight management. So before taking any supplement, look at the supplement fact sheet on the bottle or their website and see what ingredients contain the remedy you are about to consume.
Q: When should I take a gut health supplement?
A: Some believe the best time for taking probiotics supplements for gut health is before breakfast instead of before bed, which is more effective and potentially helps improve your gut more efficiently. Because according to research, gastric acids are likely at their lowest in the morning, which creates an opportunity for probiotics to escape into small and large intestines before breakfast. However, following the manufacturer’s instructions for each specific supplement is essential.
Q: What are the side effects of gut health supplements?
A: As mentioned before, many digestive support supplements make use of probiotics or prebiotics, which lead to the improvement of your stomach’s beneficial microbe balance. Since bacteria used as probiotics naturally occupy your system, therefore, supplements ingredients are safe and side-effect-free overall. However, everybody’s experience is different, and some substances might mildly trigger allergic reactions or upset stomachs. The most common side effects are diarrhea, constipation, bloating, flatulence (temporary increase in gas), and thirst. On rare occasions, some consumers react poorly to probiotics supplements for gut health and show adverse symptoms; then, they should stop using the product immediately.
Q: Who shouldn’t take gut health supplements?
A: It is essential to always read the label of supplements for gut health before consumption, especially for people with immune system issues, those with critical illnesses, and those who’ve had surgery should be cautious around supplements that include microbes. In this regard, they should consult with their healthcare advisor to ensure the product isn’t harmful to their health and doesn’t interfere with any medications or pre-existing health conditions.
Q: How long does it take for gut supplements to work?
A: Probiotic ingredients in supplements need time to show results by increasing good bacteria, eliminating harmful microbes, and reducing inflammatory factors. In short, it takes almost 2-3 weeks for most people to feel significant changes. Some even need more time to heal their problems, and a person needs to take the product for 2-3 months or even more to complete the course of treatment. However, not all people react the same, and various supplements have different effects, and their treatment period is also diverse.
Q: What are the best gut health supplements?
A: In this review, we recommended several top-quality supplements for gut health with high regard in the market. We summarized each introduced product and you with necessary details about these reputed supplements. To find the proper treatment that fits your needs, review the selected products, and consider their effects, benefits, ingredients, brand, price, side effects, etc.
Our recommended selection includes Colon Broom, Gundry MD Total Restore, Multi-GI 5, ActivatedYou Morning Complete, Bio Complete 3, and 1MD GutMD.
Q: Where can I buy these digestion-supportive supplements?
A: There is a chance you can order them from online retailers, but for some of the supplements we recommended, the only possible way to order the legit product is to purchase it through official websites, and these supplements are not distributed to famous online stores such as Walmart and Amazon.
Q: What is the recommended dosage?
A: As you can see, it is very important to follow instructions on the back of each product’s label or directions provided by the manufacturer’s website. Supplements usually come with a recommended dosage.
- Colon Broom – One scoop into 12-14 fl oz (360-420 ml) water.
- Gundry MD Total Restore – Three capsules every day
- Multi-GI 5 – One scoop (6.4 g) powder with water
- ActivatedYou Morning Complete – One scoop (7.6 g)
- Bio Complete 3 – Two capsules every day
- 1MD GutMD – Three tablets every day
Alternative Therapies – What Other Options Keep Your Gut Healthy
If you decide on the right supplement for improving your gut strength, you can also accomplish your goal through alternative therapies, exercises, diets, and so on. Here are some of the experts and specialists’ recommendations you can consider:
Meditation and Yoga: It has been established that some movements and exercises, such as yoga, can help with digestive wellness as well as overall health. Breathing and meditation can activate the parasympathetic nervous system, reduce the body’s stress responses, and balance the stomach environment. Unlike many hardcore workouts, yoga potentially supports a sound microbiome without increasing cortisol or stress hormones.
Massage: Although massages have always been recommended to loosen up stiff muscles and fascia, this soothing exercise can also help detox and get rid of stress hormones like cortisol and chronic pains. You can expect excellent results with your digestive functions with a calming and stimulating massage, especially abdominal-focused ones (even self-administered). One 2018 clinical trial indicated how abdominal massage improved gastrointestinal activities.
Acupuncture: While sound ancient and invasive, acupuncture is a game changer and can aid many gut issues like stress, gas, bloating, acid reflux, inflammation, SIBO stomach pain, and more. Several experts advise professional acupuncture to stimulate the right spots in the nervous system, which leads to the release of chemicals into the spinal cord, muscles, and brain. Studies demonstrated how acupuncture could improve intestinal microbiota and mitigate inflammation symptoms.
Cryotherapy: Some believe cryotherapy is only reserved for professional athletes or folks with severe conditions. However, according to studies, cryotherapy can significantly reduce depression and anxiety symptoms, and act as the fitting simulator for rectifying the gut lining and healing stomach issues overall.
Exercise Can Also Help: If you’re not a fan of yoga or other medications, there are different workouts you can try to improve your gut health. The vital role of proper exercise and diet on weight management and healthy digestion were proven a long time ago. It seems longer routines and high-intensity aerobic training can better contribute to improving gut bacteria diversity and thriving.
Sauna and Hot Springs: One of the most enjoyable methods to improve gut health is relaxing in a sauna or hot spring. Spring waters are the best for natural detoxification, and the extraordinary benefits of natural mineral water on intestinal inflammation and mucosa-associated microbiota are not hidden these days. Scientific findings showed how hot spring waters could modify the fecal gut microbiota composition.
Saunas also support body detox, decrease stress, inflammation, chronic pains, and mental and cardiovascular illnesses, and generally help the body and gut healing process. There are two types of saunas called traditional and infrared. Traditional saunas primarily heat the air to high temperatures and intend to increase the body temperature from the outside. In contrast, infrared saunas use infrared lamps with electromagnetic radiation to warm the body from the inside out. To know which type of saunas best fits your situation, seek your doctor’s consultation.
Eat Fibers and Probiotic Foods: Besides taking supplements, you can also commit yourself to consuming the proper meals, including fiber foods and products that are probiotic and increase good bacteria in your system.
Fiber as a plant-based nutrient is the most effective prebiotic and stimulates the diversity of beneficial bacteria in the gut, thus, reducing the risk of metabolic disorders. You can have a regimen packed with gut-enhancing fibers such as spinach, beets, carrots, sweet potatoes, whole grains, fruits, and veggies and, naturally, improve your stomach condition.
On the other hand, fermented foods such as yogurt, Kefir, kimchi, sauerkraut, miso, natto, and cheese have the potential to act as probiotics and improve your gut health.
Drink Less Alcoholic Liquids: Alcohol has a negative impact on your stomach microbiome, and studies also confirmed the link between alcohol overuse and gastric irritation. When consuming alcohol, this beverage first passes through the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and it may interfere with the structure and the function of GI-tract segments. Therefore, doctors recommend building better drinking habits and drinking more mindfully,
A Less Stressful Routine: When someone suffers many gut-related problems, one of the most repeated suggestions by doctors is to reduce stress and unnecessary excitement from your daily life. If you think your mood and constant anxiety aren’t related to your stomach aches and growls, you can’t be more wrong. Stress isn’t just a mental matter, and research has shown how depression and tension can affect the gut and vice versa. If you improve your anxious lifestyle, your body and your stomach get the response and calm down much faster than you imagine.
For Serious Problems, Always Seek Doctor Consult: A gastroenterologist (GI doctor) is a gut specialist that can diagnose your digestive system disorders and diseases (esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, rectum, & anus), plus problems with the liver, bile ducts, gallbladder, and pancreas.
The signs severe enough to see a GI doctor include Blood in stool, a lump in the throat, hemorrhoids, heartburn, unexplained weight loss, excessive gas, and the feeling that your clothes are too tight.
Best gut health supplements can improve your life to the point that they affect your overall wellness and modify your digestive system, metabolism, and weight management goals. Natural supplements have the potential to provide you with life-changing ingredients, yet they are not as invasive as chemicals, safe enough for all users.
The selective list of best supplements for gut health and weight loss offered in this article is chosen meticulously based on potent formulas, healthy and safe ingredients, the reliability of brands, and proven to be effective by satisfied customers.
When trying to determine which supplement best suits your needs, consider these factors, as well as your own research on each brand’s website. Examining the benefits of each product and its ingredients help you better identify the suitable one.
The bottom line, people’s digestive conditions are very different, and many substances that bring one person close to health may even be harmful to another person. You can have a diary on hand and note foods that make your stomach unhappy or soothe your gut. Know your body and find the solution, proper supplement, and correct dosage, and your body will definitely respond to your efforts.
Health Insiders relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our editorial policy.
 Gut Microbiome: Profound Implications for Diet and Disease https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6682904/
 Part 1: The Human Gut Microbiome in Health and Disease https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566439/
 The Effect of Psyllium Husk on Intestinal Microbiota in Constipated Patients and Healthy Controls https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6358997/
 Microbiota Changes Due to Grape Seed Extract Diet Improved Intestinal Homeostasis and Decreased Fatness in Parental Broiler Hens https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7465624/
 Effects of Dietary Grape Seed Meal Bioactive Compounds on the Colonic Microbiota of Weaned Piglets With Dextran Sodium Sulfate-Induced Colitis Used as an Inflammatory Model https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7054226/
 The Role of Glutamine in the Complex Interaction between Gut Microbiota and Health: A Narrative Review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6834172/
 Role of Glutamine in Protection of Intestinal Epithelial Tight Junctions https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4369670/
 Cinnamon: Mystic powers of a minute ingredient https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4466762/
 Cinnamon: A Multifaceted Medicinal Plant https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4003790/
 Effect of Dietary Magnesium Content on Intestinal Microbiota of Rats https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7551274/
 Prebiotic Potential and Chemical Composition of Seven Culinary Spice Extracts https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5600121/
 Anti-inflammatory and Anti-oxidative Effects of Phytohustil® and Root Extract of Althaea officinalis L. on Macrophages in vitro https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7090173/
 A systematic review study of therapeutic effects of Matricaria recuitta chamomile (chamomile) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5074766/
 Chamomile: A herbal medicine of the past with bright future https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2995283/
 AM and PM measurement of gastric potential difference and prostacyclin production in humans: effects of ranitidine https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3069230/
 Acupuncture improves the symptoms, intestinal microbiota, and inflammation of patients with mild to moderate Crohn's disease: A randomized controlled trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8850329/
 Whole-body cryotherapy as adjunct treatment of depressive and anxiety disorders https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2734249/
 Beneficial Effects of Natural Mineral Waters on Intestinal Inflammation and the Mucosa-Associated Microbiota https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8122343/
 Bode C, Bode JC. Alcohol's role in gastrointestinal tract disorders. Alcohol Health Res World. 1997;21(1):76-83. PMID: 15706765; PMCID: PMC6826790.