Peptiva is a probiotic which is primarily intended to improve the health of your digestive system and balance your gut bacteria. It has a secondary benefit in that it creates a relaxed, calm feeling in users, and leads to a restful sleep.
The calm feeling is caused by valerian root, Gamma-aminobutyric acid, and melatonin, so it is best to take this probiotic before bedtime.
Peptiva Ingredients – What to Look For?
There are 3 primary active ingredients in this product, plus the probiotic matrix. The ingredients are listed below along with information about the probiotic matrix.
Note: This label was taken directly from the official website, click here to view.
This supplement also includes ingredients that help support sleep.
They are listed below.
Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (from PharmaGABA®) 100 mg – This is an inhibitory brain neurotransmitter in the central nervous system. There’s some evidence that it improves cognitive skills. It promotes relaxation and reduces stress.
- GABA is only found in fermented foods, such as kimchi, miso, tempeh and fermented milk products, like kefir. For more information about fermented foods, click here.
- People with certain medical conditions may have lower levels of GABA, these conditions include:
- Seizure disorders
- Movement disorders, like Parkinson’s disease
- Panic disorders
- Mood disorders, such as depression.
- Valerian root is usually dried and used in teas or capsules
- A study on valerian root showed that the use of the herb caused participants to fall asleep 7 minutes faster and it improved measured sleep. The side effect of valerian root was noted to be similar to the effects of benzodiazepine medications, which are sedatives 
- Another study showed that it lowered the symptoms of insomnia when compared to a placebo group.
- More studies are needed on Valerian root because the studies mentioned above were small studies and they had high withdrawal rates from participants. In addition, the studies may have used different species of the valerian root.
- Valerian may cause improved sleep for the following reasons:
- it increases GABA, a neurotransmitter that promotes sleepiness
- inhibits an enzyme that destroys GABA
- valerian extract contains GABA
- the amino acid glutamine may cross the blood brain barrier and turn into GABA .
Melatonin (immediate-release) 0.75 mg Melatonin (delayed-release) 0.75 mg –
- Melatonin is a hormone that is very involved in the sleep-wake cycle. It’s released when it’s your regular sleep time, and it makes you drowsy.
- Melatonin is a hormone that is produced in the pineal gland naturally. It plays a large role in moderating your sleep-wake cycle. It’s normally released when it’s bedtime. Anecdotal reports do mention its effectiveness, but the National Sleep Foundation points out that this really isn’t supported by the research.
Note: Currently, there are no dosing recommendations for melatonin so supplements may cause melatonin levels to reach much higher levels than they would normally reach without supplementation.
What are Probiotics?
Probiotics are live microorganisms (good bacteria) that are found only in fermented foods and supplements.
How Does It Work | The Science Behind Probiotics
Probiotics promote healthy gut bacteria and have been known to have many health benefits. Normally, we have a balance of “good” and “bad” bacteria in our digestive system, but sometimes these two bacteria’s can be imbalanced.
Causes of this imbalance are illnesses, use of antibiotics and a poor diet . Some of the known health benefits include:
- Promotes immune system health– probiotics may inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria
- Helps or prevents diarrhea- antibiotic induced and traveler’s diarrhea
- Improves some mental health conditions, such as anxiety, depression, OCD
- Reduces the “bad” cholesterol (LDL cholesterol) and may modestly reduce blood pressure when taken regularly
- May decrease the severity of allergies and skin conditions.
Note: The recommended amount of probiotics to take is 1-100 billion CFU’s per day.
Peptiva Pros & Cons
- It may restore balance to your digestive system, stopping uncomfortable symptoms and promoting regularity.
- This product can help you fall asleep and get a more restful sleep
- It can reduce your anxiety, making you feel calm and relaxed.
- You can only use this product at night because it causes drowsiness (It has a formula without the sleep support ingredients)
- There is an interaction with antibiotics, antifungals, immunosuppressants and chemotherapeutic agents (reduces the medication’s effectiveness)
- The sleep support ingredients may cause side effects like dizziness, pruritis, headaches, GI upset, or muscle weakness.
- The product contains FD&C Red #40 & FD&C Blue #1. The FDA has stated there is not enough evidence to conclude that artificial food dyes are unsafe, but more evidence is needed.
Consumer Questions and Answers
Q: How to Use Peptiva?
A: Take one capsule every night, about 30 minutes to an hour before you plan to fall asleep. After about half an hour, you should begin to feel sleepy and relaxed.
You shouldn’t take this product during the day, as it can make you drowsy.
Q: Does Peptiva Have Any Side Effects?
A: The claim of the manufacturer is that this probiotic has no side effects whatsoever and that it’s also suitable for vegetarians. It’s completely free of animal derivatives.
Nonetheless, make sure you show it to your doctor and get approval before you begin taking it.
Q: Is it ok to mix Peptiva with the meds I take now?
A: Some medications that may interact with certain probiotics include: antibiotics, antifungals (such as clotrimazole, ketoconazole, griseofulvin, nystatin). Please make sure you speak with your doctor before you begin taking it.
Q: Can I Take Peptiva If I Have A Health Condition?
A: The manufacturer recommends that if you have any kind of health condition, you should meet with your physician and discuss it before you start taking this product. In addition, there may be a drug interaction with antibiotics and antifungals.
Q: Does Peptiva Work?
A: Whether this product works or not seems to be quite individual, or it differs depending on the physiology of the person taking the supplement. The reviews differ widely in their reports of effectiveness, with some being sorely disappointed and perceiving no effect and others thinking this is a miracle supplement. You should take the chance and see if it works for you.
Q: Is there Magnesium in Peptiva?
A: Other Ingredients: Hypromellose, microcrystalline cellulose, silica, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide and carrot concentrate (capsule color).
Q: Can people with epilepsy take Peptiva
A: Probiotics may be an option for supplementary therapy. Since the use of probiotics is safe, they may contribute to improving seizure control, and therefore the quality of life, in patients with drug-resistant epilepsy. (source: Clinical Trial – Benef Microbes 2018 doi: 10.3920/BM2018.0018)
Q: Can I take 2 pills to help me sleep?
A: The manufacturer recommends taking Peptiva consistently every night to achieve maximum digestive health benefits. (Note: please take only the recommended dosage.) Common side effects of too many probiotics can lead to bloating, gas, and nausea. People at greater risk of dangerous side effects are those with a weakened immune system or serious illness, in which case you should consult a doctor before taking large amounts of probiotics.
Q: Can I take both the Prodigest and Sleep Support?
A: Absolutely! Peptiva + Sleep Support can be used with Peptiva Digestive Enzymes + PRODIGEST. Keep in mind that the digestive enzymes formula is taken immediately before your heaviest meal, while our probiotics + sleep support formula is taken before bedtime.
Q: What Is Peptiva Moneyback Guarantee, Return & Refund Policy?
A: The manufacturer of Peptiva is offering a 30-day money-back guarantee for direct orders from their website. If you’re dissatisfied with the product, you can send it back. If you’re in the auto-shipment program, you can send the bottles back even if they’re empty and get your money back. However, if you’ve made a standard shipment, you have to send it back untouched in the original packaging to get your refund.
From a third-party website, the return policy varies depending on the company. Make sure you check it and make sure it meets your needs before you make the purchase.
Peptiva Alternatives – Compare with Similar Items
Here is a comparison of some of the top brands of probiotic/sleep aids on the market today:
|1MD Complete Probiotics Platinum||$40.99||Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and NutraFlora prebiotic fiber|
|Peptiva||$59.99||Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid, valerian root, melatonin|
|Multi-GI 5||$64.99||Barrenwort (Horny Goat Weed), Maca Root Extract, Panax Ginseng,
|Urinary Tract Support||$46.26||Cranberry Fruit, Bbacillus Subtilis, Myoviridae|
|Vital Reds||$69.95||Green tea, Aronia berries, grape seed extract, mulberry extract, bitter melon extract|
|Florajen 3||$42.99||Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, Bifidobacterium lactis|
|Trubiotics||$14.50-20||Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium animalis|
|Colon Detox Plus||$24.80||Aloe Vera, Alfalfa Leaf, Cascara Sagrada, Buckthorn, Rhubarb|
|Synbiotic 365||$45.00||Thiamin (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Pyrodixine HCl (vitamin B6), & Folate (vitamin B9)|
|ActivatedYou Morning Complete||$49||Aloe Vera, Green Tea, Turmeric, Ginger Root, Probiotic Blend, Astralagus, Fennel Seed, Spinach, Broccoli, Kale, Cinnamon Bark|
|DigestZen TerraZyme||$50||Papain, Lactase, Protease, Alpha Galactosidase, Sucrase, Enzyme Blend|
|Provitalize||$49||Turmeric, Lecithin, Curry Leaf, Moringa Leaf, B. Lactis, L. Gasseri, B. Breve, Bioperine|
The price of the Peptiva product is on the high side, but not the highest price out there for this item.
You can see that the ingredients in Peptiva are somewhat unique to the other products, although this may mean that it is missing some helpful substances.
Is It Safe? – Warnings & Complaints
The biggest warning and complaint were that the product contains FD&C Red #40 & FD&C Blue #1. There were quite a few customers who said that the capsules either didn’t work for them at all, or they actually kept them awake all night.
In some customers it created pimples. Others said they couldn’t keep taking it because it made them tired the next day.
Another warning relates to the offer of a free product sample. Customers warn that requesting the 15-day sample gets you on a subscription list, and you’ll immediately be charged the full amount for the next month’s supply.
Peptiva Customer Reviews & Results
Customers who purchased this product gave very mixed reports of its success. There were many customers who were delighted with this supplement, including long-time insomnia sufferers. Similarly, many users said it improved their gut health.
There were numerous users, however, who were extremely dissatisfied with the probiotic and claimed that it did nothing for them at all.
Others said it helped them sleep, but they couldn’t keep taking it because it made them tired and groggy all morning the next day. In contrast, some users found that it actually made their insomnia worse.
Naturally, customers who were aware of it were very upset that the product contains FD&C Red #40 & FD&C Blue #1. Users weren’t clear on why the manufacturer decided to include them.
Peptiva: Packages, Deals, Prices & Where to Buy It
If you purchase the product on the official website, it costs $59.99 plus $4.99 shipping. It’s also available from other online retailers for a similar price, but you may want to look around to see if you can get a bargain.
Right now, you may be able to get a free sample of the Peptiva + Sleep support on their website after paying a nominal shipping fee.
The Bottom Line on Peptiva
This product is hard to know because the reviews are so widely mixed. There were a lot of customers who were just delighted with the results they got from taking this product.
In some cases, it solved serious cases of insomnia. In addition, many users spoke about how effective this probiotic is at solving digestive issues.
On the other hand, there were many complaints about Peptiva. Customers said that it either did nothing, worsened their insomnia, or created pimples. You should check with a doctor before using this product.
Consider carefully that this supplement contains the substances FD&C Red #40 & FD&C Blue #1, which may have negative health consequences, but more research is needed to determine the side effects of dyes.
Is There Anything Else You Should Know About Peptiva?
It may well help you sleep and improve your digestion, but there are some other things about it that you should consider.
Some key ideas to keep in mind when taking this supplement include:
- Some people find that even when they take it at night it still makes them tired the next day. If you have something important the next morning, you might want to skip it.
- If it doesn’t work for you, that doesn’t mean that other similar products won’t.
- There are some health warnings, so monitor yourself very carefully while taking the product.
- Remember that the effect of the supplement is different for different people. Don’t expect a miracle just because someone else says they found one.
 Valerian: A safe and effective herbal sleep aid? - Mayo Clinic https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/insomnia/expert-answers/valerian/faq-20057875
 Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid - an overview | ScienceDirect https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/biochemistry-genetics-and-molecular-biology/gamma-aminobutyric-acid
 Gamma Aminobutyric Acid: Uses and Side Effects of GABA Supplement | Healthline https://www.healthline.com/health/gamma-aminobutyric-acid#takeaway
 Food Fermentation: Benefits, Safety, Food List, and More | Healthline https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fermentation
 Valerian — Health Professional Fact Sheet | National Institutes of Health https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Valerian-HealthProfessional/
 8 Health Benefits of Probiotics | Healthline https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/8-health-benefits-of-probiotics