What is Plexaderm?
Plexaderm is an anti-aging plexaderm rapid reduction serum that is designed to treat a number of cosmetic issues that are common concerns to the eye area. For instance, the makers claim that it could help with skin tightening, reduce the visibility of crow’s feet, under-eye bags, and other fine lines, wrinkles, and blemishes around the eyes.
What Does Plexaderm Do
Plexaderm can also be used in other areas of the face as well such as around the mouth to decrease laugh lines and on the forehead.
Who Owns Plexaderm
The company that has developed Plexaderm named itself after the product. It is marketed by the company Sheer Science. The Plexaderm skincare products can be seen frequently on shopping channels and in commercials. The company that makes Plexaderm operates out of Farmingdale, New York.
FORM: Cream & Serum
MANUFACTURER: True Earth Health Products, LLC
ADDRESS & PHONE: 260 Smith Street, 11735, Farmingdale, United States
Customer Care: (800) 681-0366 & Sales: (800) 673-2201, [email protected]
BEST FOR: Combination, Dry, Normal
TARGET GENDER: Unisex
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Sodium Silicate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Cellulose Gum, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 40 (CI 16035), Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin.
USES: Smooths fine lines and firms skin, redefines facial contours, improves skin density, refines skin texture, and minimizes visible pore size.* (*All individuals are unique. Your results can and will vary.)
Plexaderm Ingredients – The Breakdown
The ingredients in Plexaderm skincare consist of mostly synthetic materials. Here is a breakdown of some of the most important main ingredients:
- Hydrolyzed Rice Protein – Hydrolyzed Rice protein is used in many cosmetic products as an absorbing agent, bulking agent and binder. According to Cosmetics Info hydrolyzed rice protein is generally safe and toxicity concerns are low.
- Titanium Dioxide – This ingredient is used as a physical block to filter out harmful UV rays and as a whitening agent for the skin per Safe Cosmetics.
- Acetyl Hexapeptide-8 – This is a common ingredient in skin care products. It is also known as Argireline and it is supposed to have anti-aging effects. Also used in a wide range of skincare and makeup products and has water(Aqua) binding properties.
- Sodium Silicate – it appears as a powdered or flaked solid substance. Strong irritant to skin, eyes, and mucous membranes (source).
- Magnesium Aluminum Silicate – Reviewed by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel, it has been found in the report that Topical application of Magnesium Aluminum Silicate to human
skin daily for 1 week produced no adverse effects.
- Ethylhexylglycerin – works as a skin conditioning agent as well as a preservative.
- Phenoxyethanol – The Danish EPA suspected phenoxyethanol of being damaging to the environment and health. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) lists it as an irritant and toxic in varying concentrations (source).
Other listed ingredients: water (aqua), sodium silicate, magnesium aluminum silicate, cellulose gum, acetyl hexapeptide-8, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 40 (CI 16035), phenoxyethanol and ethylhexylglycerin.
How Does it Work – The Science Behind Plexaderm
To understand how Plexaderm works, you have to look at the working of key ingredients as mentioned above.
One of the main claims of this product is to reduce the appearance of the bags we sometimes get under our eyes. The reason we get these bags become so apparent the connective tissue under the eyes weakens with age. This results in prominent fat under the skin of our under-eyes. That combined with mild dehydration or a touch of seasonal allergies one could look puffy.
These changes are due to genetics and aging. The Penn State University site published an article that confirms that genes may also play a factor and that it may be a hereditary condition.
In any case, Plexaderm skincare is supposed to help restore the connective tissues under the eye. It may also help reduce the darkness under the eyes through the utilization of titanium dioxide. Chemical Safety Facts points out that titanium dioxide has a whitening effect. It can brighten the skin and hide blemishes as well.
Plexaderm Pros & Cons
- This product may be able to lighten the skin under the eyes.
- At least one of the main ingredients has low toxicity concerns.
- This product can be used for all skin types.
- Money back guarantee.
- Most of the ingredients in this serum are synthetic.
- Titanium dioxide has been ruled as a possibly carcinogenic substance to humans.
- Some consumers may not like the consistency of Plexaderm.
- May cause difficulty when using plexaderm with makeup.
- Plexaderm is expensive in comparison to similar products.
How to Use Plexaderm?
- Wash your face and pat dry
- Use a small amount of the serum to start with. Dispense about half the size of a pea.
- Apply a thin layer. Spread the serum around your fine lines and wrinkles. Make sure to avoid it from getting into your eyes.
- Blend the serum so that it gets fully absorb in your skin.
- Leave the serum for 8-10 mins and do not move your face.
Consumer Questions and Answers
Q: How Much Does Plexaderm Cost?
A: You can buy a single bottle of Plexaderm for $59.95. You can buy 2 bottles and get one free as well. This option comes at a price of $119.90. Both options come with free shipping and handling.
NOTE: The price per bottle varies according to retailer and quantity purchased. Meanwhile, QVC, Amazon, HSN, eBay appears to offer the best value for Plexaderm orders. Also in our research and at the time of writing, we are unable find any evidence of active coupons, promo codes, or free Plexaderm trial offer. Nevertheless, you might find periodic or seasonal discounts at certain times of the year.
Q: Are There Any Side Effects With Plexaderm?
A: One common complaint from Plexaderm reviewers is that the cream leaves a white residue. There should be little to no irritation of the skin and side effects are limited.
CAUTION: Any product has the potential to cause irritation in the skin; always do a patch test first. If you have allergies please inspect the label carefully before applying the serum/cream.
Q: Is Plexaderm Safe?
A: Most of the ingredients in Plexaderm have been deemed safe by legitimate medical authorities. If you have a skin condition, you should talk to your doctor before using Plexaderm.
Q: How Long Do the Plexaderm Results Last?
A: According to the information provided by Plexaderm, in a 17-person test when image analysis was used, temporary improvement continued to be seen for up to 10 hours. Plexaderm serum works best when applied to clean and dry skin. Allow at least 8-10 minutes for Plexaderm to set before applying anything over it.
Q: What is Plexaderm’s Return & Refund Policy?
A: There is a 30-day return policy associated with Plexaderm. It stipulates that you can try Plexaderm for 30 days and if you are not happy with the results, you can return it for a refund minus the cost of shipping.
Q: How Long Does One Bottle of Plexaderm Last?
A: A single bottle of Plexaderm Rapid Reduction Serum usually lasts about 30 days when using the recommended amount under each eye daily.
Q: Can You Apply Makeup Over Plexaderm?
A: When using additional cosmetics, water-based products work best.
- Try mixing 1 part liquid foundation or concealer with 2 parts Plexaderm serum and apply with your fingertip.
- Allow the Plexaderm/foundation mixture to set for 10 minutes.
- All makeup brands are different so you may need to adjust the Plexaderm-to-foundation ratio until you get the desired results.
Q: Does Plexaderm work on other parts of the Face and Neck?
A: Yes, Plexaderm Rapid Reduction Serum can be applied to all areas of the face and neck.
Q: Can Plexaderm be Purchased in Stores?
A: Plexaderm is available and primarily distributed online. In our research, the product is not widely available in stores.
In the following section we will compare Plexaderm to some of the most popular eye cream alternatives out there.
|Plexaderm||$59.95||Titanium Dioxide, Acetyl hexapeptide-8, hydrolyzed rice protein|
|Gle Skincare For Dark Circles||$24.99||Vitamin C, Caffeine, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide, Chondrus Crispus Extract, Coenochloris Siginensis Extract|
|Glé Skincare for Wrinkles||$39.99||Vitamin E, Algae Extract, Vitamin B3 and B5, Carthmus Tinctorius Seed Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil|
|Beverly Hills MD Dermal Repair Complex||$39.95||Saw Palmetto, MSM, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamins|
|Cryotin||$79||Antarcticine, syn-ake peptide, eyeseryl peptide|
|Murad Renewing Eye Cream||$82||Retinol, Mango Butter, Eye Brightening Complex, Advanced Peptides|
|boscia Indigo Eye Cream||$38||Jojoba Oil, Shea Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, Cocoa Extract, Avocado Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Gingko Biloba|
|DRMTLGY Needle-less Serum||$69.00||Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Hyaluronic Acid (Sodium Hyaluronate), Panthenol (Provitamin B5), Bambusa Vulgaris Leaf/Stem Extract|
Plexaderm Customer Reviews and Results
According to the brand’s own clinical study of 40 people, conducted in 2017, 75% saw a decrease in the appearance of anti aging eye bags, and 78% saw a decrease in under eye dark circles.
Taking a look at the official Plexaderm website, we see mostly positive reviews. The positive reviews include comments like:
- It helped to reduce wrinkles on the face.
- It helped to make a significant difference in under eye darkness.
- It replaces the need for makeup under the eyes.
Others were not so happy with the way it worked and complained of:
- Clay-like residues left behind.
- The bottle being too small.
- The fact that it cannot be used with other products or makeup.
Overall, the Plexaderm reviews are not favorable on third-party sites. If taken as a whole (official site reviews and third-party site reviews) Plexaderm has had an overall negative response.
The company is listed on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as “True Earth Health Products” — a name that was used either prior to or alongside “Sheer Science”. There are (26 complaints closed in the last 3 years and 11 complaints closed in the last 12 months), the majority of which are marked answered or resolved.
On Amazon.com, Plexaderm scores 3.1 out of 5. 35% of the 1,044 customer reviews are rated 1 star (the lowest possible). In contrast, 40% of the customer reviews are 5 stars (the highest possible). The vast majority of these reviews come from “verified purchasers”. (Note: The percentage numbers may vary.)
Plexaderm – Where to Buy and How to Save
Plexaderm can be bought on the official Plexaderm com website, amazon, walmart, qvc, or on third-party retail sites.
If you choose to buy on the official site, you can save a bit of money by buying 2 because you will get one for free.
If you do buy plexaderm in stores or from third-party sites you might actually pay more since it is more expensive on most retail sites.
We list down our research regarding confirmed retailers and the accurate prices at the time of publishing.
- Official website ($59.95 for 1 bottle / $119.90 for 3 bottles)
- QVC ($79.96 for 2 bottles)
- Amazon ($64.95 for 1 bottle)
- eBay (price varies)
- HSN ($88.00 for 2 bottles or 3 FlexPay of $29.33 S&H: $3.50) Retail value: $119.90
The Plexaderm products are currently not available on: Walmart, CVS, or Walgreens.
NOTE: Always check that a seller is an authorized distributor before purchasing any cosmetics from a third party site.
Plexaderm Products – What other products do Sheer Science offer?
Plexaderm manufacturer Sheer Science actually produces and markets a whole line of cosmetics under the Plexaderm skincare brand. Plexaderm beauty products can help improve the look of under-eye bags and wrinkles.
The most widely advertised product and the one seen in many commercials is the Rapid Reduction Cream/Serum. However, the list of other Plexaderm Products as mentioned below:
- Peppermint Exfoliating Cleanser ($12.95 for 1 bottle)
- Night Time Collagen Peptide Serum ($19.95 for 1 bottle)
- Reset and Replenish Pads ($21.95 for 1 bottle)
- Dark Spot Fade Gel ($24.95 for 1 bottle)
- Hyaluronic Moisturizer ($29.95 for 1 bottle)
- Plex Perfect Daily Moisturizer ($39.95 for 1 bottle)
NOTE: None of these products are actually available for sale on the official website. You should call the plexaderm customer service/sales team or visit the Sheer Science website to place your order.
The Bottom Line
The official site for Plexaderm Skincare Rapid Reduction Cream/Serum seems to be a little skewed toward the product. It boasts the wonderful benefits that the user can get from using their product.
These benefits include fewer lines around the eyes and the mouth area as well as fewer wrinkles on the forehead. It also reports the improvement of crow’s feet and under-eye bags and puffiness.
It also states that each bottle comes with a semi-lengthy return policy of 30 days.
On the other hand, there are a significant amount of negative reviews online. This leads us to believe that at least some of the claims are untrue.
There are also some potentially harmful, synthetic materials in Plexaderm. (Note: I personally have never tried the product.)
Is There Anything Else I Should Know about Plexaderm?
The manufacturers themselves warn that there is a potential risk of skin irritation and redness from using Plexaderm and that if it happens, you should discontinue use.
You should also be aware that Plexaderm’s effects will not last as long under conditions of extreme sweat, oil or moisture.
We believe this product has little potential upside in terms of its price. Is Plexaderm good? Maybe if it were less expensive it would be worth the trying.
Keep in mind that if you do buy it, you can return it within 30 days if you are unhappy with the results from the cream.
Of course, it may take longer than 30 days to see any results so make sure to use daily as directed by the package insert and try to photo document your progress of the condition of your skin while using Plexaderm skincare.
2) Opinion of the Scientific Committee on Consumer safety (SCCS) - Revision of the opinion on the safety of the use of titanium dioxide, nano form, in cosmetic products. SCCS., Chaudhry Q Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2015 Nov; 73(2):669-70. [PubMed]
3) By True Earth Health Products Dec 14, 2016, 05:59 ET https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/clinical-study-reveals-plexaderm-cream-cosmetically-reduces-wrinkles-and-under-eye-bags-faster-than-injections-300378638.html
4) This study was performed in February 2019 using VISIA® Complexion Analysis System. The entire protocol was reviewed and approved by Sheer Science, prior to commencement of the study. Source; Plexaderm Clinical Survey Results & Study