About Bio X4
Bio X4 is a weight loss aid that comes in capsule form. The purpose of this supplement is to curb cravings, improve digestion, and increase metabolism to promote weight loss. Bio X4 by Nucific, which was founded by Dr. Amy Lee (Bariatric Physician) and is based out of California. The company’s mission is to utilize science and offer products that help your body function at its optimal level.
Nucific sells a variety of supplements and has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau since 2016. The company currently holds an A+ rating, despite customer complaints of overcharging and shipping errors.
Bio X4 Ingredients – The Breakdown
The ingredients in Bio X4 are made up of 4 proprietary blends and in parentheses are amounts of each main ingredient in 1 capsule.
We examined the scientific evidence behind Bio X4 ingredients to see if these claims hold up.
- Probiotic Blend (4 Billion CFU): mixture of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium strains. Bio X4 probiotics are most commonly used to treat gastrointestinal conditions, but specific strains may offer various types of additional health benefits. For example, Lactobacillus acidophilus may reduce the severity of lung infections in children and number of eczema breakouts in infants and Bifidobacterium lactis may boost your immune system.
- Digestive Enzyme Blend (43mg): combination of amylase, bromelain, and lipase. Amylase and lipase are enzymes in the body – amylase breaks down carbohydrates and lipase breaks down fat for easier digestion. Bromelain is an enzyme mixture in pineapple that is commonly taken for sinusitis and may show promise in treating other inflammatory-related conditions. In regards to gut health, bromelain may help an upset stomach and reduce diarrhea, but according to the National Institute of Health, may or may not be helpful in digestion.
- Weight Management Blend (100mg): green tea extract that is 50% epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), a highly potent antioxidant naturally found in green tea. Green tea can boost metabolism to promote weight loss, likely related to the combination of antioxidants and caffeine, according to Consumer Reports. Large amounts (>1,000mg) of green tea extract can be harmful to the liver, but this supplement contains a small amount.
- Craving Control Blend (166mg): consists of Caralluma Fimbriata (C. Fimbriata) extract which comes from the C. Fimbriata plant native to India and is commonly used to suppress the appetite. This fact-checked article discusses additional benefits and research supporting the use of this extract.
How Does It Work – The Science Behind Bio X4
The science behind Bio X4 Nucific is in the ingredients that together are meant to reduce total calorie intake, improve digestion, boost energy levels, and burn more calories to result in weight loss. One may specifically wonder why a company would add probiotics to a weight loss supplement, but Harvard Health discusses a positive link between good gut bacteria and weight management.
The article proposes good bacteria in your gut may reduce the total amount of calories your body absorbs, making it easier to lose weight or minimally maintain your current weight.
Bio X4 Pros & Cons
- This product is likely to promote gut health and some weight loss
- Research behind individual ingredients overall support the effectiveness of them
- Supplement ingredients are from whole fruits and vegetables
- Nucific donates a portion of every purchase to the Action Against Hunger organization
- Significant number of positive customer reviews on Bio X4
- Appears to be a reputable company, has a physical location, and offers support via phone and email
- Nucific offers an extensive 90-day money back guarantee if you’re not fully satisfied with their product
- Mild stomach pain and nausea may occur
- The supplement does not contain other popular and effective probiotic strains such as Saccharomyces boulardii and Bifidobacterium bifidum
- Bromelain may or may not aid in digestion and weight loss
Customer Questions and Answers
Nucific suggests taking 1 capsule 3 times per day with meals. The company mentions you can increase to 2 capsules per meal, but you should not exceed 6 capsules per day.
It is a dietary supplement that is used to control appetite and boost metabolism.
You have the option to buy 1, 3, or 6 bottles at a time. Each bottle is a 1-month supply if 3 capsules are taken daily. Each order also includes free shipping:
- 1 bottle = $99.00
- 3 bottles = $261.36
- 6 bottles = $487.08
All prices listed here are as they appear on the official Nucific website.
The Nucific website claims there are no known side effects with Bio X4 and for the most part, we agree and it appears to be one of the safer weight loss supplements on the market.
Side effects from Bio X4 are likely to be minimal, but be sure to discuss this supplement with a healthcare provider prior to starting it to ensure there are no pre-existing health condition concerns or medication interactions.
Although green tea extract in large amounts may be harmful to the liver, taking the recommended 300mg/day is very unlikely to cause issues. Bromelain and C. fimbriata may promote gastrointestinal discomfort, but nothing too severe. You may want to avoid this supplement if you are allergic to pineapple.
Nucific offers a wonderful 90-day money back guarantee for users who are not 100% satisfied with their purchase. Users just have to call the company and they'll get their money back. The Contact link provides an email address, physical location, and phone number with hours of operation to reach them.
Products Similar to Bio X4
- NatureWise Raspberry Ketones Plus – diet supplement in pill form that is a blend of raspberry ketones, acai berry, cayenne pepper, green tea extract, and African mango seed extract. NatureWise sells this product for $17.09 (120 capsules).
- Muscletech Xenadrine Pure – non-stimulant weight loss supplement sold by GNC that features Garcinia Cambogia, among other ingredients. There is also a stimulant-containing Xenadrine option. Although expensive ($40.00 for ~13-day supply) through GNC, review are positive and the supplement appears to be much cheaper through other retailers.
- Tevare Water Away – if you are looking to shed some water weight or cleanse your body, this may be a good option. This supplement contains Vitamin B-6, potassium chloride, dandelion, and Buchu plant to jump start metabolism and promote weight loss. Amazon sells it for $18.67 (60 capsules).
All prices listed here are as they appear on their websites and are subject to change.
Bio X4 Customer Reviews & Results
The majority of Bio X4 reviews are positive as many reported curbed cravings, weight loss, elimination of bloating and indigestion, increased energy levels, and no side effects.
Negative reviews mainly revolved around complaints of incomplete shipments/shipping errors.
The Bottom Line on Bio X4
Bio X4 weight loss supplement seems to be a rather effective supplement with the intriguing addition of probiotics and an overwhelming amount of positive results. Although it’s disheartening that the company appears to have had many complaints regarding shipping and return issues, if you can get your hands on this supplement, it may very well be worth any type of hassle. The science is there and not only may it benefit your gut, but your waistline too!
Is There Anything Else I Should Know About Bio X4 Probiotics?
Keep in mind there is no such thing as a miracle weight loss pill, as much as it seems like this might be it. The company recommends you give Bio X4 at least 60 days to do its thing.
If you keep your expectations reasonable, you may be able to greatly benefit from this supplement.
ISRN Nutr. 2013; 2013: 481651. Published online 2013 Jan 2. doi: 10.5402/2013/481651 Health Benefits of Probiotics: A Review
Green tea for weight loss and weight maintenance in overweight or obese adults. Cochrane Systematic Review - Intervention Version published: 12 December 2012
J Nutr. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2008 Nov 25. Published in final edited form as: J Nutr. 2008 Sep; 138(9): 1677–1683. doi: 10.1093/jn/138.9.1677 The Major Green Tea Polyphenol, (-)-Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate, Inhibits Obesity, Metabolic Syndrome, and Fatty Liver Disease in High-Fat–Fed Mice
J Nutr Metab. 2010;2010:285301. doi: 10.1155/2010/285301. Epub 2010 Dec 28. Antiobesogenic and Antiatherosclerotic Properties of Caralluma fimbriata Extract. Kamalakkannan S, Rajendran R, Venkatesh RV, Clayton P, Akbarsha MA.
Perspect Clin Res. 2015 Jan-Mar; 6(1): 39–44. doi: 10.4103/2229-3485.148812 To evaluate efficacy and safety of Caralluma fimbriata in overweight and obese patients: A randomized, single blinded, placebo control trial
Clin Nutr. 2016 Jun;35(3):592-9. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2015.05.003. Epub 2015 May 29. Therapeutic effect of high-dose green tea extract on weight reduction: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Chen IJ, Liu CY, Chiu JP, Hsu CH.
Appetite. 2007 May;48(3):338-44. Epub 2006 Nov 13. Effect of Caralluma fimbriata extract on appetite, food intake and anthropometry in adult Indian men and women. Kuriyan R, Raj T, Srinivas SK, Vaz M, Rajendran R, Kurpad AV.
Probiotics. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2010 Mar 15;67(6):449-58. doi: 10.2146/ajhp090168. Williams NT. DOI: 10.2146/ajhp090168
Probiotic use in clinical practice: what are the risks? DOI: 10.1093/ajcn/83.6.1256 Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Jun;83(6):1256-64; quiz 1446-7. Boyle RJ, Robins-Browne RM, Tang ML.
Katie J. Astell, Michael L. Mathai, Andrew J. McAinch, Christos G. Stathis, Xiao Q. Su. A pilot study investigating the effect of Caralluma fimbriata extract on the risk factors of metabolic syndrome in overweight and obese subjects: a randomised controlled clinical trial. Biomedical and Lifestyle Diseases (BioLED) Unit, College of Health and Biomedicine, Victoria University, Melbourne, Victoria 3021, Australia.
M. Million, et al. Obesity-associated gut microbiota is enriched in Lactobacillus reuteri and depleted in Bifidobacterium animalis and Methanobrevibacter smithii. International Journal of Obesity (2012) 36, 817–825; doi:10.1038/ijo.2011.153; published online 9 August 2011
Perano SJ,Couper JJ,Horowitz M, Martin AJ, Kritas S, Sullivan T, Rayner CK. Pancreatic enzyme supplementation improves the incretin hormone response and attenuates postprandial glycemia in adolescents with cystic fibrosis: a randomized crossover trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Jul;99(7):2486-93. doi: 10.1210/jc.2013-4417. Epub 2014 Mar 26.