A Brief Introduction to ProbioSlim
ProbioSlim is a diet supplement that is aimed at helping the user lose weight. It claims that it can do this through a combination of prebiotics, probiotics and other natural supplements that may increase energy and speed up the metabolism.
ProbioSlim is manufactured by Force Factor based in Boston, MA, and according to the Better Business Bureau, they hold an A+ rating. The company states that it uses some of the most effective probiotic strains which may ease diarrhea, bloating, constipation, and other gastrointestinal problems. There is also green tea leaf extract which they say will naturally enhance your body’s ability to burn fat. ProbioSlim comes in capsule form and is to be taken orally.
ProbioSlim Ingredients – The Science Behind Force Factor ProbioSlim
It is first important to know what is in this supplement and what role they play in either weight loss or digestive health (the two main claims made by the manufacturers of ProbioSlim). Take a look at what we found:
- LactoSpore – This is the “revolutionary” probiotic that is in ProbioSlim to help maintain healthy gut function. Everyone has a certain amount of bacteria in their gastrointestinal tract, and maintaining a healthy b can be delicate; LactoSpore aims to achieve this balance.
- Green Tea Leaf Extract – Green tea leaf may help the user lose weight. Consumer Health Reports elaborates on this claim. They state that due to the caffeine and catechins in green tea leaf extract, the metabolic rate may be affected. They do admit that these effects are minimal.
- Prebiotic fruit Extract – We are told on the Force Factor website that this fruit complex includes kiwi, fig and papaya. Prebiotics may play a role in weight loss by promoting the health of the microbiota of the gastrointestinal system.
The main theory behind the link between gut bacteria and weight loss comes from an observed difference between the gut bacteria of people who are slim and those who are obese. This is still a theoretical link though.
Quick Pros & Cons
- May improve gut health
- Natural ingredients
- Pills are easy to take
- May reduce stomach noises like growling
- Weak connection between gut health and weight loss
- Contain titanium dioxide that if inhaled, maybe a carcinogen
- Contains gelatin which is likely to have been sourced from animals
Customer Questions and Answers
The instructions as laid out on the official Force Factor website instruct that the user should take 1 capsule for breakfast and 1 capsule with lunch.
You can buy a container of ProBioSlim for $69.99 on the official Force Factor website. There are 60 capsules per container.
You can return your supply of this product within 30 days of your original purchase. However, you will not be refunded the amount for shipping and handling. You must also contact the company directly to receive a return merchandise authorization number before any returns will be accepted or any refunds issued.
This supplement has received mixed reviews. The people who liked it credited it for helping them lose weight by making them feel fuller. Other people said that they felt no difference in their digestive health and experienced no weight loss.
Thankfully there is no shortage of probiotics you can try if you are skeptical about ProBioSlim. Here are some other products and how they stack up to ProBioSlim in terms of price and ingredient list:
- Renew Life Ultimate Flora – Sporting 90 billion live cultures, this supplement costs $35.62, which is significantly cheaper than ProbioSlim. It also contains bifido and lactobacillus probiotic cultures.
- Vitamin Bounty Pro 50 – This supplement comes with 50 billion live organisms including lactobacillus, and a mixture of fermented greens for added digestive support. It comes in at $28.49 and is a top-rated product.
- Physician’s Care 60 Billion Probiotic – At a price of $21.73, this probiotic features millions of lactobacillus cultures, cherry root powder and Jerusalem artichoke root.
- Bio X4 – is a probiotic supplement that is used to control appetite and boost metabolism. A 30-day bottle of pills costs an astonishing $99. All Nucific products come with a 90-day refund policy.
|Previtalize||$49||Galacto-oligosaccharides (GOS), Xylooligosaccharides (XOS), Inulin, Fructooligosaccharides|
|Vital Reds||$69.95||Green tea, Aronia berries, grape seed extract, mulberry extract, bitter melon extract|
|Peptiva||$59.99||Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid, valerian root, melatonin|
|Iaso Tea||$49.95||Holy Thistle, Persimmon Leaves, Papaya, Blessed Thistle, Malva Leaves, Marsh Mallow, Myrrh, Chamomile, and Ginger|
Will ProBioSlim Really Work?
The answer to this question depends on what you want it to work for. Let’s take a look at the facts about the ingredients. LactoSpore is a probiotic. Probiotics have traditionally been used to help digestive issues and this one is no different, so it is very possible that it will help with symptoms like indigestion and loose stools.
Next is the fruit complex. These are considered prebiotics which also has an effect on gut health through acting as food for probiotic bacteria. This Gastro Journal report, however, shows that when prebiotics were tested against a placebo group, there was little difference in weight or gut health.
Finally, there is a green tea leaf. This seems to be the only ingredient that would have any viable effect for weight loss due to its reported effect on metabolism. But, as we mentioned earlier, there have only been weak scientific findings that support this claim.
So will this supplement really work? It would seem that ProbioSlim would be better suited to someone who has gastrointestinal concerns as opposed to weight loss concerns.
The way that gut bacteria is said to have an effect on weight is the manner in which gut bacteria play a role in getting energy from calories, as per the Mayo Clinic. So the theory goes that if you have the right gut bacteria, you will burn caloric energy better. This, however, is still just a theory.
Possible ProBioSlim Side Effects
- Upset stomach
Furthermore, there is caffeine (from the green tea leaf) in this product, which is a natural stimulant that may also have negative side effects such as keeping you up at night or making you restless. This effect may be exacerbated if you are particularly sensitive to caffeine. Most of these symptoms are not long-lasting.
Final Thoughts on ProbioSlim
Many people have reported positive results in their digestive health after taking this product, but few have reported any actual weight loss. This is a bit worrisome in the sense that ProBioSlim is marketed as a weight-loss supplement. The word “slim” is literally in the name! There is weak evidence linking good gut bacteria and weight loss so we are inclined to think that you would benefit more from other supplements if your goal is weight loss.
That said, we can’t knock ProbioSlim for its pre-and probiotic content; it seems to be pretty solid in that department. It is a bit pricey for a probiotic; there are plenty of alternatives that are cheaper and are probably just as effective. If you do try this product, be sure to keep in mind the 30-day refund policy and keep a close eye on how it is affecting you.