Girlene Coughlin, RD, LD, CPT Nutrition Expert/Registered Dietitian
Girlene Coughlin is a dietitian nutritionist specialized in weight and diabetes management, with experience in clinical (in-patient and out-patient settings), retail, and community nutrition. She also provides grocery store tours, pantry makeovers, nutrition workshops, talks, and seminars. Girlene is:
- experienced with multiple cultures and ethnic backgrounds; on adapting a healthy diet to a person's specific food preferences
- fluent in English, Spanish and in Portuguese
- a Certified Personal Trainer, qualified to give you advice on exercise with clearance from your physician
Girlene owns her nutrition business called The Brazilian Dietitian, and as a holistic dietitian, she provides her clients with alimentary re-education and new habits to achieve optimal health.
Education & Board Certifications
- graduated in Nutrition Science from Rutgers University, and a post-baccalaureate Dietetic Internship comprised of 1200 hours of supervised practice, to study the Medical Nutrition Therapy for chronic diseases and other medical conditions. She then passed a National Registration Examination to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
- completed the Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management levels 1 and 2, provided by the Commission on Dietetic Registration, the credentialing agency for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- she is a Certified Personal Trainer and holds a Weight Loss Specialization through the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)
Health Insiders Editorial Philosophy
There's a wide range of information about health and wellness available, but not every source is reliable and accurate. Health Insiders is transforming this process. We are dedicated to providing the most up-to-date knowledge and data about the world of health. It’s clear and easy to understand, which allows you to evaluate what is best for you and your loved ones. Read more about our product review guidelines.
About Our Medical Review Process
Health Insiders aims to deliver accurate, reliable information about themes related to health and wellness. In order to ensure that the material we provide is correct and precise, we have a medical review team which ensures that the articles, photos, and products are precise and accurate. The Health Insiders Medical Network and Nutrition Team is composed of experts from a variety of medical and health-related fields, who all have a wealth of experience in medical care and research. Read more about our content evaluation process.