What is Omega XL?
The product we are tackling today is a joint support supplement. It is called Omega XL and it is made by a company called Great Healthworks. It is claimed that Omega XL is a quality joint supplement mainly because of its ingredients which include 30 types of fatty acids.
Let’s Keep Mr. Larry King aside, thousands of Omega XL reviews online are mostly positive.
But does it live up to the hype?
Let’s get into the details.
What is Omega XL Good For?
The company claims to have done over 30 years of research on this Omega XL and how it can combat inflammation and joint pain. It noted an 89 percent decrease in pain symptoms among 50 subjects studied.
Note: Larry King, Jonathan Cheban, Tony Dovolani, Ana María Polo, and Blair Underwood are paid endorsers of OmegaXL.
It should be noted that Omega XL is mainly a fish oil supplement. Fish oil has indeed been linked to joint health and support.
OMEGA XL 60 CAPSULES GREEN LIPPED MUSSEL NEW ZEALAND
FORM: Softgels/Liquid Gel
HEALTH BENEFIT: Bone & Joint Health, Heart Health
ADDRESS & PHONE: 4150 SW 28th Way Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312
1-800-488-8082, [email protected]
MANUFACTURER: Great HealthWorks
USES: Help relieve joint discomfort due to inflammation.* (*All individuals are unique. Your results can and will vary.)
INTRODUCTORY PRICE: $39.95. S+H, $4.95.
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Flaxseed Oil, Omega 3, Vitamin E, Green Lipped Mussel Oil, and Olive Oil
Omega XL Ingredients – What is Omega XL made of?
So, you’ve read the customer reviews, but do you know what is actually in this product? There are 3 main active ingredients that we are told about in the Omega XL formula. Here you will find a breakdown of these three ingredients:
- Perna Carnaliculus – According to the Food and Agriculture Organization, perna carniliculus is the name given to the green-lipped mussel, sometimes called the New Zealand Mussel. The oil from this mussel is said to be rich in fatty acids that has been shown to help lower inflammation in osteoarthritis.
- Vitamin E – Vitamin E is one of many natural antioxidants. We read in this Versus Arthritis article that it can be especially useful for helping to spur cartilage generation in individuals with osteoarthritis among animal studies. It should also be noted that current evidence from studies on humans suggests that antioxidant vitamins aren’t effective in treating rheumatoid arthritis. Evidence from trials of the effectiveness of vitamin E in treating osteoarthritis provided mixed results.
- Monosaturated Olive Oil – This ingredient is linked to lowered inflammation not only in the joints but heart as well. Olive oil has naturally occurring antioxidants that are responsible for decreasing inflammation and reducing pain according to WebMD.
How Does it Work – The Science Behind Omega XL
Although there is not a lot of clinical understanding as to how green-lipped mussel works on joints, we do know what makes it beneficial. As we see again in a Versus Arthritis article, it contains a high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids, minerals, and amino acids. All of these are pivotal for the support of joints. So why is it important to get these omega-3’s?
A separate Harvard article informs us that it is important for us to get omega-3’s in our diet because the body does not naturally produce them.
The way that omega’s work in the body is at the cellular level. The University of California San Diego site tells us that there are enzymes called lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase or LOX and COX (for short) that spark inflammation by generating prostaglandin. It has been observed that at the cellular level omega-3 fatty acids inhibit these enzymes, therefore stopping inflammation in its tracks and thus reducing pain.
Omega XL Pros & Cons
- Omega XL contains at least thirty types of omega fatty acids
- This product produces more bioavailable fatty acids as opposed to flaxseed oil which only contains omega 3 fatty acids which are not readily converted to the active form in the body
- This is an all-natural supplement with hand-selected ingredients
- New Zealand mussels are considered a good choice on the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch list
- It is free of common allergens gluten, corn, and dairy
- We do not know the quality of olive oil or vitamin E that is put in this product
- Consumer reports noted that when tested it had surprisingly little omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) present
- There is no mention of the specific names of the omega fatty acids
- The quantity of the omega fatty acids are not listed on the product
- The recommended dosage is high at 3-6 pills per day
- Cheapest price requires that you enroll in auto-ship
- It may be hard to cancel this product and get out of the auto-ship program
- Long-term benefits are unknown
- The company’s research claims and clinical trials are not published on their website
- No regulations on the product to tell if the ingredients are accurate
- The paid infomercials may be misleading
- The bottle says it is free of shellfish protein but we do not know how everyone will react if they have a shellfish allergy
- We do not know the quality of the seafood used for this product
- The website does not have a lot of information on usage
- May be better to just eat fish since when you consume omega 3 fatty acids from food you have a higher amount that is absorbed (90 verse 50 percent) when compared to supplements
Consumer Questions and Answers
Q: How To Take Omega XL?
A: Omega XL Dosage: As per the official site, they suggest 4 gel capsules daily, preferably with a meal, for the first 8 weeks. All 4 may be taken at once, or two in the morning and two at night — whatever works best for you. Also, a third-party source of information that tells us that the daily recommended dosage is at least 3 capsules.
Q: How Much Does Omega XL Cost?
A: The following pricing information comes straight from the official Omega XL website. Therefore this will be the price and the terms you will be subject to should you buy it from them directly:
- Your first bottle will cost $39.95
- There is a $4.95 shipping fee which brings your first purchase to a total of $44.90
- Your first purchase will include a second bottle of Omega XL for free
- After your first purchase, you will be enrolled in an auto-ship program that will send you a new bottle every month for the price of $39.95 plus $4.95 shipping
Q: Who Sells Omega XL?
A: Omega XL is sold by Great HealthWorks Inc.
Q: Is Omega XL sold in stores?
A: It is not sold in stores. You go to their site, fill in all the information including credit card and click on buy now. You can buy OmegaXL by Great HealthWorks Fatty Acid Combinations From New Zealand Softgels, 60 Ct at Walmart.com. Free shipping with no order minimum.
Q: What is Omega XL Used for?
A: OmegaXL is a natural supplement formulated with a complex of healthy fatty acids (including DHA and EPA) which is used to help relieve pain due to inflammation.
Q: What are the Side Effects of Taking Omega XL? Is It Safe?
A: According to WebMD, New Zealand green-lipped mussel is possibly safe for most people. It can cause some side effects including itching, gout, abdominal swelling, heartburn, diarrhea, nausea, and intestinal gas. Some rare cases have shown it may also cause liver problems.
Since Omega XL contains these mussels, the supplement could also possibly cause the same side effects.
Those who are pregnant and breastfeeding should not take this product. WebMD states this New Zealand green-lipped mussel is possibly unsafe and may slow the development of an unborn child. There is not enough information on breastfeeding so the best option is to not take this if you are breastfeeding.
There is not any information on green-lipped mussels and drug interactions. So it is best to talk with your doctor before starting Omega XL.
Taking up to 3 grams of fish oil daily in supplement form is considered safe. More than 3 grams a day can increase chances of bleeding according to WebMD.
According to Arthritis.org fish oil has a blood-thinning effect. Taking more than 3 grams a day could be hazardous if someone is already on a blood-thinner or aspirin.
Omega XL does not state how much fish oil is in their product so you are not sure if you are getting a safe dose.
Fish oil has some side effects including loose stools, nausea, bloating, or burping. Since fish oil is contained in this product it could also occur.
There are no side effects related to this product in healthy individuals.
Q: What If I have A Health Condition?
A: If you have certain health conditions always talk to your doctor first before starting a supplement regimen.
Q: What is Omega XL’s Return & Refund Policy?
A: Omega XL offers a 90-day return policy for their product. This policy can be used to get a refund within the first 90 days of your original purchase. However, there are a couple of things to keep in mind about this policy:
- It does not cover auto-shipped products that you received 90 days after your very first purchase
- It may or may not include a refund in shipping costs
Q: Does Omega XL really work for pain?
A: Yes, it does work! OmegaXL has been shown in clinical research to support joint health and mobility. Backed by 30 years of clinical research, Great HealthWorks created Omega XL to help you live with more vitality and less discomfort. Omega XL Amazon Customer reviews were mixed.
Q: Can you gain weight from Omega XL?
A: According to the Times of India report, “An omega-3 fatty acid is highly recommended for people who want to lose weight but excess consumption might show an opposite result. As you already know fish oil is rich in fat and is also high in calories, therefore, too much of it can increase your metabolic weight”.
Q: How long does it take Omega XL to work?
A: In our research, people noticed a difference in about a week to 10 days of taking Omega XL pills, the promised benefits are yet to be seen! Levels of omega-3’s build up quickly in the body once you take supplements. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, it may take two to three weeks for you to start seeing an improvement in your cholesterol after supplementing your diet with fatty acid.
Q: Why is OmegaXL not approved by the FDA?
A: OmegaXL is a dietary supplement. The FDA does not approve dietary supplement products before they go to market. However, the FDA does oversee the industry. They routinely conduct on-site inspections and review product information to ensure that supplements meet or exceed quality standards.
Q: Is Omega XL good for back pain?
A: Omega XL may be good for back pain. It claims to reduce inflammation in your body, helping to reduce such pains. However, If you’re looking to specifically target and reduce your back pain, you may want to look for other medicines.
Omega XL Alternatives
Now it’s time to take a brief look at some of the other options you have for joint pain relief in terms of price and ingredients.
|Omega XL||$39 + shipping||Vitamin E, Green Lipped Mussel Oil and Olive Oil|
|Primal Flex||$39.96 Month + Free Shipping||Ashwagandha, Vitamin C, Collagen Type II|
|1MD D3||$19.99||Vitamin D3 as Cholecalciferol and Organic Avocado Oil|
|Relief Factor||$79.95-93.95||Icariin, Turmeric, Resveratrol, Omega 3|
|Turmeric Curcumin Plus||$23.95||Turmeric, Curcuminoids(e. curcumin), BioPerine (Piperine)|
|Triple Power Joint Support||$39.99||Curcumin, Turmeric, Collagen|
|ProJoint Plus||$29.95||Glucosamine Sulfate, Boswellia Extract, Turmeric, Methionine|
|Arthrozene||$49.95||Type 2 collagen, Boswellia, Hyaluronic Acid|
|Triple Strength Omega 3 Fish Oil||$34.95||Tocopherol, Omega 3 Fatty Acids, Green-Lipped Mussel|
Omega XL Customer Reviews & Results
The Omega XL reviews are mixed but there seem to be more positive reviews than negative. At any rate, we will go over some of the positive and negative reviews for this product so you can get a feel of what people think of it.
- Helped reduce inflammation in the knuckles which made taking off rings easier
- Helps with arthritis
- Helped reduce diarrhea and leg pain
- Showed no results after 30 days
- May get the same results from Boron supplementation
- Does not work to reduce joint pain
- Cholesterol and triglyceride levels slightly increased after use
- Product arrived clumped together and was unusable
- Can get the same results from getting cardio and weight training
- Some felt more pain after taking this supplement
- Less pills in the bottle than advertised on the label
Where Can I Buy Omega XL and How to Save
This is a tough one. That’s because, at third-party retailers, it is generally more expensive than on the official OmegaXL com site. The catch is that if you buy from the official website at a cheaper price, you are enrolled in an auto-ship program you will have to cancel if you don’t want it shipped every month. It might be hard to get out of the autoship program.
How do I cancel my Omega XL Subscription?
If you want to cancel your Omega XL subscription, you can cancel by phone or email. The steps to cancel your membership are found below:
Cancel by Phone
- Call 1-800-488-8082 (phone hours are Monday – Friday 9 am to 6 pm Eastern Standard Time)
- Ask a customer service representative to cancel your automatic renewal.
Cancel by Email
- Email your query at [email protected]
- Include your name, address, and email information associated with your account.
- Ask to cancel your auto-renewal.
- Ask for a return email confirming your cancellation. Omega XL states that you should expect a 24-48 hour response time.
- Follow up with a phone call at the number provided below if you do not receive a confirmation email.
The Bottom Line
On paper, Omega XL seems like a great product. Some users, in their Omega XL reviews, report improved mobility and reduced joint pain after taking the product. It is rich in omega-3’s, it may help with joint pain and there are accounts of people seeing that it really helps with inflammation.
It seems to be a natural join product which is positive. OmegaXL may have a high concentration of omega 3 fatty acids from a quality source of low mercury fish. However, there is no actual evidence of this on their website so that makes it a little skeptical.
There are some negative Omega XL reviews but it should be noted that not all supplements for joint pain will have a universal effect. Everyone’s body is different and will react differently to supplements.
Is There Anything Else I Should Know About Omega XL?
Omega XL pills contain an unknown quality of olive oil. Olive oil contains monounsaturated fats. These have been shown to be healthy enough on their own as we see in this Mayo Clinic article, but when combined with a high saturated fat diet could be too much fat in general.
Other than the unknown information about the quality and quantity of some of the ingredients it seems to be safe to use. However, if you have a health condition you should talk to your doctor before starting this supplement.
 Linus Pauling Institute: Essential Fatty Acids
 NAD - Omega XL Dietary Supplements - Lexology