An Overview of Amberen
Amberen is a dietary supplement that is intended to relieve some of the symptoms associated with menopause.
These symptoms can include night sweats, hot flashes, weight gain, mood swings, stress, joint pain irritability, low sex drive, difficulty concentrating, low energy and headaches.
Unlike traditional hormone replacement therapy; Amberen is only a supplement which is important to note because it does not introduce any additional hormones to the female body.
Instead, Amberen is devoid of hormones and drugs and claims to work by balancing the hormones of the user through amino acid and mineral supplementation.
Amberen is one of the most popular non-hormonal menopause supplements on the American market.
Amberen Ingredients – What to Look for
As stated in the aforementioned, Amberen features amino acids and minerals in order to restore hormonal balance for the user.
The entire proprietary complex accounts for 400mg of ingredients. The following list highlights some of the ingredients of note:
- Ammonium Succinate – Ammonium succinate has been studied in a double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. The results were significant as users who were given Ammonium Succinate experienced marked relief from waistline weight gain and climacentric symptoms.
- Glycine – Glycine is typically taken from soy isoflavones which share a similar hormonal profile to humans. Glycine is rich in phytoestrogens as we read in this OMICS Online article, which makes it a good candidate for natural hormone balance without having to undergo actual hormone therapy.
- Monosodium L-Glutamate – This is a sodium amino acid derivative and it is purported that it can inhibit certain neurotransmitter signals those related to low energy.
How Does it Work – The Science Behind Amberen
Interestingly enough, there have been high-quality clinical trials on not only the ingredients in Amberen but on the supplement specifically.
These studies yielded positive results and noted that the elements in Amberen help to stabilize mood, stymie the increase in weight that is typical of menopausal and post-menopausal women and help balance their estrogen profile overall.
There are a couple of succinate-based components in Amberen that are studied at great length.
Clinical trials showed that adequate succinate supplementation is usually accompanied by higher calcium retention (treating bone density loss during menopause) and increased blood serum content of estradiol (Treating hormone imbalance).
Amberen Pros & Cons
- Contains proven ingredients
- Can work to reduce or eliminate multiple menopausal symptoms
- Is free of stimulants and gluten
- Has a soy content
- Contains rice flour
- Contains Titanium Dioxide
Customer Questions and Answers
The user is advised to take Amberen once each day, taking one white and one orange pill (2 total) after breakfast for at least 90 days.
Amberen can be bought in many physical and online retail stores. On the official Amberen website you have a few package options to choose from:
- Buy 2 Get one Free – That's 3 total packages of Amberen for $54.99 and free shipping.
- 30-Day Supply – This option costs $49.99 and includes free shipping.
- 90-Day Supply – This package costs $79.99 and also includes free shipping
- 180-Day Supply - $149.99 with free shipping.
Side effects seem to be minimal with this product. Amberen does however contain monosodium l-glutamate which is essentially MSG. You may already know a little about MSG as a food additive. According to the MayoClinic website, MSG has been linked to symptoms such as headache, sweating and flushing. The same article also acknowledges however, that researchers have been unable to find a concrete link between MSG and these symptoms.
It is advisable to consult with your healthcare provider prior to taking Amberen if you have known medical conditions.
If you buy your supply of Amberen through their official website you can take advantage of a 60-day money back guarantee that states that you can return your supply of Amberen within 60 days of your original purchase for a refund.
- Balanced Femme – Balance Femme is actually a liquid supplement that features maca and dong quai and is available for $34.00.
- Nested – Menopause Complete Herbal Care by Nested comes in vegan capsule form, contains black cohosh and dong quai and is available in a 60 capsule container for $21.95
- Estroven – Estroven Maximum Strength contains twice the potency of black cohosh as compared to other leading brands.
Is Amberen Safe?
There have been several clinical trials conducted on Amberen and support its use as a method of choice for climacteric symptoms.
However, those with hypertension or history of a hysterectomy should consult with their healthcare provider before taking Amberen.
Amberen Customer Reviews and Results
Customer reviews for Amberen are surprisingly mixed. Many customers raved about Amberen helping them sleep through the night and wake up in a good mood and relieving night sweats and mood swings.
Caution: Amberen is not intended for use by pregnant or nursing women. Do not take if you have severe hypertension. If you are taking prescription medication or have any medical condition, consult your doctor before use. Discontinue use and consult your doctor if you have any adverse reaction.
The Bottom Line
Amberen, for the most part, seems to be a reliable supplement for the easing of menopausal and post-menopausal symptoms.
In some cases, it can even help to restore hormonal balance. It has been used by many customers to alleviate symptoms like mood swings, hot flashes, night sweats, and insomnia.
However, the current research available supports Amberen as a choice of method for premenopausal and menopausal women.
Is There Anything Else You Should Know About Amberen?
Amberen has been around for a long time and we like the fact that so many clinical tests have been done on this specific brand with positive results.
Keep in mind the 60-day money back guarantee just in case it does not work for you or if it causes you any adverse side-effects.
While these events seem to be rare, you can’t be too careful. And, as with any menopause supplement that intends to affect hormone and estrogen profiles, it is a good idea to consult your doctor before you start taking them.
Where To Find It?
Amberen can be purchased through the amazon.com.
2) Clinical Evaluation of Effectiveness and Safety of Combined Use of Dietary Supplements Amberen and Smart B by Women With Climacteric Syndrome; I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University. clinicaltrials.gov
3) Kuznetsova I.V. UYB, Borisova N.I., Zhukova E.V., Berdnikova N.G., Gusak Yu.K. Effectiveness of alternative therapy in perimenopausal and postmenopausal women (in Russian). Akusherstvo i ginekologiya/Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2016 5:126 - 33.
4) Maevsky, E. I., et al. “A succinate-based composition reverses menopausal symptoms without sex hormone replacement therapy.” Advances in gerontology= Uspekhi gerontologii/Rossiiskaia akademiia nauk, Gerontologicheskoe obshchestvo 21.2 (2008): 298-305.